Zucchini lasagna is about layers of pasta alternated with creamy bechamel sauce and savory zucchini. These genuine and flavorful ingredients form a perfect gastronomic combination.
A delicate first course, lasagna with zucchini, is suitable also for those who do not particularly like strong flavors. This lasagna can be easily defined as vegetarian as it is prepared without meat. Welcome your family and friends because here’s a recipe to satisfy even those with special dietary needs.
Its preparation is quite simple, you will not have to go crazy too much but I guarantee that you will bring to the table a baking casserole of excellent steaming zucchini lasagna. How can you resist a plate of lasagna? You just can’t. Prepare the necessary ingredients and start transforming this delicacy into an exquisite reality on your plate.
If you want a more nourishing and hearty lasagna, don’t miss the traditional, old-school recipe of classic Bolognese lasagna. Also, there’s a faster version, see the turkey skillet lasagna for a dose of quality food.
If you are a zucchini lover, here are some delicious recipes with zucchini you might find useful:
- stuffed zucchini boats
- zucchini roll-ups with spinach and cheese
- raw zucchini ribbon with tofu
- spinach, feta & zucchini casserole
- sausage stuffed zucchini boats
How to cook zucchini for zucchini lasagna?
The first step you need to take when preparing the zucchini lasagna is to cook the zucchini. For that, wash and pamper dry the veggies. Now place one zucchini at a time on the cutting board and cut the whole zucchini straight across. Cut them thinly, about 1/4 of an inch. Make sure they’re not too thin to avoid them breaking upon cooking.
Next, peel and chop one onion. Heat up a frying pan and add olive oil. Sautee the chopped onion for a couple of minutes then add the zucchini rounds. Mix well and season with some salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and let it cook for 5-7 minutes on medium-low heat. Finally, remove the zucchini from the stove and set it aside. Focus on the second part of the cooking – the bechamel sauce.
How to cook the bechamel sauce?
It is very easy to cook the sauce although some of you might feel unconfident with it. Just set all the ingredients next to the stove, get the right tools and everything will turn out excellent, I promise.
To prepare an exquisite bechamel sauce, you need to act quickly. Grab a saucepan and a whisk. Set the saucepan on the stove at medium heat. Add in 3 tbsp of butter. When it has completely melted, stir in the flour. Always whisk to avoid forming lumps. At this point season with salt, nutmeg powder and stir again. Finally, pour in the milk, gradually. Pour in about 1/4 of a cup and stir, when the composition has thickened, pour more and continue the process until the milk is fully incorporated. Taste for salt and add if needed. Let everything simmer on low heat for a couple of minutes then set aside.
You have everything needed to build up the beautiful and delicious zucchini lasagna! Let’s go!
How to prepare the zucchini lasagna?
Grab a baking dish, either square or rectangular. Avoid using oval-shaped baking dishes because the lasagna sheets will not fit well and you’ll get some extra work to do that might slightly discourage you.
Grease the inside walls and the bottom of the baking dish with butter. Now pour some of the bechamel sauce to cover the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange the raw lasagna sheets to cover the bottom and cover it with more bechamel sauce. At this point arrange the cooked zucchini rounds on top. Sprinkle with grated mozzarella on top.
Cover the layer with lasagna sheets, then spread some of the bechamel sauce. Arrange the zucchini and cover them with grated mozzarella. Repeat the process until you’re out of everything.
For the top layer, use a peeler to slice thinly the zucchini and beautifully arrange them over the final layer of lasagna sheets covered in the bechamel. Top everything with mozzarella and abundant grated parmesan cheese. Your zucchini lasagna is ready to be sent to the oven.
How to bake the zucchini lasagna?
The best-baked dishes are done in a preheated oven. The same rule goes for the zucchini lasagna. Preheat the oven at 360F for at least 10-15 minutes prior to inserting the baking casserole into it.
When the oven is hot, cover the baking casserole with aluminum foil. Considering that the lasagna sheets are raw, it is mandatory to create a vacuum-like environment for them to get thoroughly cooked. That is why you should cover the lasagna with aluminum foil and send it to the oven to cook for the first 20-25 minutes at 360F.
Finally, remove the aluminum foil and cook the zucchini lasagna for another 10-15 minutes. For a beautiful golden top, set the baking mode with ventilation for the remaining time. Also, minimize opening the door during baking.
How to serve the zucchini lasagna?
Once you remove the zucchini lasagna from the oven, you should let it rest for another 10-15 minutes. Thus, you will be able to beautifully portion it. The lasagna layers will not fall apart when trying to take it out from the baking casserole.
Use a sharp knife to divide the needed portions, then, with the help of a spatula, serve the zucchini lasagna. Pour a glass of chilled white wine to yourself, and to the ones you intend to share your delicious zucchini lasagna with. Enjoy!
Zucchini Lasagna Easy Recipe
- Baking casserole
- 3 medium zucchini
- 12-15 lasagna sheets
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tsp salt 1/2
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp granulated garlic optional
- 2 cups mozzarella shredded
- 1 cup parmesan
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbs butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Wash and pamper dry the zucchini
- Slice 2 zucchini in rounds
- Peel and finely chop one onion
- Sautee chopped onion in olive oil for 2-3 minutes on medium-low heat
- Add the zucchini rounds and sautee for additional 5-7 minutes
- Set aside the pan
How to cook bechamel sauce
- Set the saucepan on the stove at medium heat and add in 3 tbsp of butter
- Stir in the flour and whisk to avoid forming lumps
- Season with salt, nutmeg powder, and stir again
- Pour about 1/4 of a cup of milk at a time and stir
- When the composition has thickened, pour more and continue the process until the milk is fully incorporated
- Taste for salt and add if needed
- Grease the inside walls and the bottom of the baking dish with butter
- Pour some of the bechamel sauce to cover the bottom of the baking dish
- Arrange the raw lasagna sheets to cover the bottom and cover it with more bechamel sauce
- Arrange the cooked zucchini rounds on top
- Sprinkle with grated mozzarella on top
- Repeat until you're out of products
- For the top layer, use a peeler to slice thinly the zucchini and beautifully arrange them over the final layer of lasagna sheets covered in the bechamel sauce
- Top everything with mozzarella and abundant grated parmesan cheese
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes
- Remove aluminum foil and cook with ventilation for another 10-15 minutes
- Remove from stove and let sit for 10-15 minutes
- Serve with pleasure!