Hearty and flavourful, the country-style bean soup is made with simple ingredients. This a dish to enjoy piping hot on a cold winter evening.
Legumes such as beans are naturally rich in vegetable proteins, thus, very nutritious. The rustic and simple bean soup may be completed with croutons or wholemeal bread, maybe with olive oil and aromatic herbs. Also, to take this dish to another level, you may add some sour cream or diced soft goat cheese.
Beans are an excellent ingredient and are the protagonists for finger-licking recipes such as fried beans, beans and ham soup, and black beans hummus. Also, if you a soup aficionado, you are invited to try the soups indicated below, I guarantee you will find the one for your soul.
Or, simply visit our soup category and pick up your favorite one.
Ingredients for country-style bean soup
This being a country-style soup, it is made pretty much with the most common harvested vegetables. Although is a meat-free recipe, it is loaded with lots of favors thanks to the different fresh vegetables and herbs. See below the list of ingredients to make a deliciously nourishing country-style bean soup with vegetables:
- beans. I used canned beans, both red and white. The nice part is that you may use whatever beans you like. The beans for this recipe have to be cooked, just like the canned ones. However, you can use dried beans and soak them overnight instead.
- red onion and garlic
- bell peppers
- celery and parsley root, or at least one of the two
- canned tomatoes, or fresh ones
- fresh parsley and dill
- spices and herbs such as salt, paprika, black ground pepper, and some dried herbs like oregano
- bay leaves
How to cook country-style bean soup?
The country-style bean soup is easy to cook, moreover, it is done in less than half an hour. It doesn’t require any special knowledge or abilities. Just gather all the above-mentioned ingredients and follow the easy steps. You are very close to serving a delicious bowl of hot and aromatic bean soup.
Start by preparing the ingredients. Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic. Put a pot on the stove and pour a couple of olive oil. Turn on the heat to low and get your attention to the rest of the ingredients. Peel and dice the carrots, celery, and parsley roots equally. Sautee the onion and the garlic for about one minute then add the diced vegetable to the hot pot. Mix everything well and cover with a lid, allow everything to cook for about 5 minutes on medium-low heat.
Now drain the canned beans and put them all together with the rest of the cooking vegetables. Also, add the canned tomatoes or simply dice fresh tomatoes and add them to the pot, juice included.
At this point add one cup of vegetable broth or simply water and season with salt, pepper, and paprika and drop in the bay leaves. Gently mix everything, cover with a lid and let everything slowly simmer on medium heat for additional 10-15 minutes.
Finally, turn off the stove and sprinkle generously some freshly chopped parsley and dill on top of the aromatic bean soup with veggies.
How to serve country-style bean soup?
Although very simple to prepare, the country-style bean soup is loaded with flavor and taste. It is a rustic and basic recipe to make whenever you wish to decrease meat intake or simply are a bean lover just like me.
Serve the bean soup when hot or warm with some croutons or a loaf of fresh bread. I like to pair this soup with a spoonful of fatty greek yogurt or sour cream. I find this combination very interesting and compelling. Also, the beans make good pair to protein, therefore, you may serve the bean soup next to a nice portion of meatloaf. Hope you find this rustic recipe interesting and enjoy every single sip of the bean soup.
Vegetable Country-Style Bean Soup
- 2 cans beans white and red
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 medium red onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 medium bell pepper
- 1 can tomatoes peeled, or fresh diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup celery root diced
- 1/4 cup parsley root diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
Spices & Herbs
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black ground pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 1 handful parsley and dill finely chopped
- Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic
- Heat a pot with some olive oil and saute the onion and the garlic for about one minute
- Peel and dice the carrots, celery, and parsley roots equally
- Add the diced vegetable to the hot pot and stir everything well
- Cover with a lid and allow everything to cook for about 5 minutes on medium-low heat
- Drain the canned beans and add them to the rest of the cooking vegetables
- Add the canned tomatoes and mix
- Add one cup of vegetable broth or water and season with salt, pepper, and paprika, and drop in the bay leaves
- Gently mix everything, cover with a lid and let everything slowly simmer on medium heat for additional 10-15 minutes
- Serve with chopped parsley on top. You might consider also topping the soup with croutons, sour cream, or cheese