Sausage Stuffed Quail is a tender and juicy meal to impress your guests. Similar to poultry, quail meat has a sweeter taste and a tenderer texture. The meat is delicate, and history recognizes it as one of the most important gourmet ingredients.
Quail meat is one of the finest and most appreciated in international gastronomy. This meat has a sweet taste and a delicate texture, making it a dietary alternative for those who want to prevent diseases such as obesity or diabetes. The meat is low in cholesterol but rich in minerals. Thus, regular consumption of quail meat can prevent cardiovascular diseases.
Although worldwide appreciated, sausage stuffed quail is a classic French dish. The fine meat can make you think of the old feasts of the nobility or the rustic elegance. The tiny and fragile birds will impress you with the amount of flavor they can barry. The recipe is not complicated yet it is suitable for special occasions when you want to surprise and delight your guests.
Ingredients for sausage stuffed quail
This delish recipe is done with a few ingredients, you don’t have to go with a long shopping list to be able to make an exquisite dinner. As the title suggests, you will need the little birds – the quails and some sausages as the main ingredients. Normally, one stuffed quail will feed one person. However, if there are people with a good appetite, you may consider cooking two for one, just to make sure no one is left hungry. Then, you may play and add any other ingredient to the dish to bake together with the meal. See below the list of ingredients:
- Quail. If you find already marinated birds, feel free to grab as many as you need. If not, buy regular quails and just marinate them about half an hour prior to cooking.
- Sausages. One regular Italian sausage will be enough to stuff 3 little birds. So if you plan to bake 6 quails, consider buying 2 sausages.
- Olive oil
- Spices such as granulated garlic smoked paprika and ground pepper spice up the quail.
Use any other ingredients to add to the baking stuffed quails for an extra aroma. These are the ingredients I used next to the meat:
- Potatoes. Potatoes wedges will infuse all the aroma. There is no need to describe in detail the taste of baked potato wedges next to roasted meat.
- Onion and garlic. Roast some onion wedges next to the potatoes. If you don’t like onion, just skip it
- Carrots are also optional
How to stuff quails with sausage?
Start preparing the quails by seasoning them. If they’re not marinated, rub them in and out with spices and let them rest for at least 15 minutes. You may turn on the stove to preheat it.
Now use half of the sausage to stuff one bird. Just insert the meat into the interior of the quail. There is no need to use a toothpick to seal it, the sausage will stay firm thanks to the shape of the quail. Repeat the procedure with all of the birds. If you have some sausage leftovers, set them aside to later add them to the casserole prior to baking.
That is all it takes to sausage stuff quails, isn’t that piece a cake?
How to cook sausage stuffed quails?
Now that the quails are stuffed, its’ time to prepare the casserole. Carefully place the quails into a baking casserole and prepare the vegetables. Peel and cut the potatoes into wedges. Season with some salt and pepper and a few drops of olive oil. Mix well and do the same with other vegetables you wish to cook. Insert the wedges of the preferable vegetables between the sausage stuffed quails and sprinkle a few olive oil drops on top.
Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil, make some holes with a toothpick for the steam to get out a bit. Now insert the preparation into the preheated oven. Bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees covered with aluminum foil.
Later, when the 30 minutes expire, open the oven and take out the aluminum foil lid. Close back the oven. During another 20-30 minutes, the quails will get beautifully roasted. That is how you get that golden skin effect, with a delicious crispy taste.
Finally, turn off the stove and take out the casserole containing the tender, juicy and fine sausage stuffed quails.
How to serve the sausage stuffed quails?
Serve the little stuffed birds as soon as they’re ready. Carefully serve them next to the baked potato wedges and other baked vegetables at your preference. Also, complements the taste of the meat with a refreshing salad such as the feta salad, roasted beet salad with nuts and carrots, or with side dishes like mashed potatoes, or boiled basmati rice.
Enjoy the meal with your dear ones with a glass of good white dry wine.
Sausage Stuffed Quail Gourmand Recipe
- baking dish
- 4 medium quails marinated
- 2 Italian sausages
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 small onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp pepper ground
- If the quails are not marinated, rub them in and out with spices and let them rest for at least 15 minutes
- Preheat stove to 400 degrees
- Stuff the quails with sausage meat, exclude the skin
- Place the stuffed quails into a baking dish
- Peel and cut the potatoes into wedges. Rub in some spices
- Add the potatoes to the quails
- Add some splices or halves of onion
- Cover with aluminum foil then pierce it with a toothpick
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Remove the aluminum foil and bake for another 20-30 minutes or until golden and crispy
- Serve with pleasure