Last Updated on February 7, 2020 by Cookie
Creamy spinach soup with shrimps is an elixir of taste with intense color and delicate flavor, ideal for cold winter evenings, but also perfect when served cold during the summer.
Do you want to cook something delicious? Then you have come to the right place because the Instant Pot Spinach Cream Soup recipe is nothing else but yummy! Spinach cream soup, like other soups such as potato cream soup and tomato soup, is a portion of ideal comfort food for the winter season. Easy to prepare, tasty to savor: a real mix of flavors to be consumed both hot and cold.
I find this easy recipe to be perfectly balanced. Spinach cream soup is colorful, satiable, healthy and heavenly delicious. Follow my recipe to cook a perfect dish that will make you rediscover its ingredients in a different, original and appealing way.
To make this dish even tastier, I add parmesan cheese and shrimps to it. This velvety spinach soup recipe is enriched by the magical final touch of the shrimps which give an extra flavor to your taste and to those of your guests. Parmesan cheese is the perfect match for all types of creamy soups, especially if combined with super fine and tender shrimps. If Popeye had a perfect soup, this would be the one:)
Ingredients for Instant Pot Spinach Creamy Soup
This velvety recipe is done with a few ingredients. It may surprise some to find out that there are no potatoes in my spinach recipe. No extra calories added, no extra starch! See below the needed components for four magic bowls of iron and vitamins:
- 30 ml of extra virgin olive oil (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 glass of heavy cream
- 1 glass of vegetable broth or water
- 150 grams of parmesan or other hard cheese
- 800 g of spinach, already rinsed
- salt and pepper
- 200g shrimps or more, as you prefer it
How to cook Creamy Spinach Soup in Instant Pot?
Thoroughly clean the fresh spinach and drain the excess water. Set the “saute” program on the Instant Pot. In the meantime peel the onion and garlic cloves and finely chop them. Add a few tablespoons of olive oil in the Instant Pot and let it heat for a bit. Then drop the chopped veggies, stir and close the lid. You should let everything simmer until the onion is transparent and the garlic is a bit golden. That will usually take 3-4 minutes. Then add the spinach to it and stir, let it soften. Pour the vegetable broth or water, cover and cook for about 10 minutes. Furthermore, add salt and granulated garlic in case you feel like adding more.
Now it is time to add the heavy cream. Pour in the cream and whisk the mixture with a blender until you get your spinach creamy soup. Press the OFF button on the Instant pot and add as much parmesan cheese as you want. Don’t go too heavy on it because you may oversalt the fine creamy soup. Take into account that the taste has to be well balanced.
The shrimp recipe to fit them all
Every time you intend to cook prawns or shrimps, always start by preparing the seasoning mix. Combine all seasoning ingredients, place over the shrimps to soak in all the flavors. Here is what you need, and what you need to do, to get aromatic and juicy prawns. Mix 1 teaspoon of granulated garlic, a few drops lemon juice along with a little zest, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of soy sauce and a pinch of paprika. Leave them in that marinade for at least 15 minutes. Give it the minimum of time for a maximum of tastiness.
Proceed to cooking the shrimps. You’ll need a large frying pan so that most of the shrimps touch the surface of the heated pan simultaneously. This way they’re all cooked evenly. Put to heat the large frying pan on medium flame (heat), add 2-3 tablespoon of butter to melt. Immediately add 2 smashed garlic cloves and let them change color to golden. Then, add the shrimps and let cook for 1 minute of each side, or until they become nicely pink. Here’s one trick I learned about knowing when the shrimps are perfectly cooked. The shape of the shrimps from head to tail should remind you of a capital letter “C”. If it resembles an “O” then it’s overdone.
I find it a wonderful idea to pour in a few drops of white wine and let it evaporate. It is one of those ideas I always embrace. That’s everything on how to cook shrimps. Easy, fast, delicious. See my Shrimp Spaghetti recipe or the Zesty Shrimp Avocado Quinoa Bowl for more inspiration.
How to serve creamy spinach soup?
You can serve this soup as an appetizer as well as a main dish. Also, it can be served hot and cold, neither temperature will ruin the taste of this nutritious superfood. Pour the vivid green-colored creamy soup in a deep bowl. Serve the creamy spinach soup, accompanied with the Parmesan and grilled shrimps. Simply add as many shrimps as you want to your bowl of green and healthy deliciousness and devour it.
Variation of the Spinach cream soup recipe
After having tried the spinach cream in the classic version, you can choose to make some changes to the recipe and slightly change the taste.
The basil. If you want a more challenging taste for your warm spinach cream soup, you can add a few basil leaves. If you chose to do so, break them into the plates right before serving. I do not recommend using a knife for the spinach to avoid oxidizing the leaves.
The croutons. For a more delicious version, you may add cubes of toasted bread and season with extra virgin olive oil.
Beautifully Tasty Instant Pot Spinach Soup
- instant pot
- frying pan
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth or water
- 150 g parmesan
- 800 g spinach
- 200 g shrimps
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
How to prepare Spinach Soup in Instant Pot
- Thoroughly clean the fresh spinach and drain the excess water
- Set the “saute” program on the Instant Pot. In the meantime peel the onion and garlic cloves and finely chop them
- Add a few tablespoons of olive oil in the Instant Pot and let it heat for a bit. Then drop the chopped veggies, stir and close the lid
- Let simmer for 3-4 minutes. Then add the spinach to it and stir, let it soften
- Pour the vegetable broth or water, cover and cook for about 10 minutes. Furthermore, add salt and granulated garlic in case you feel like adding more.
- Add the heavy cream whisk the mixture with a blender until you get your spinach creamy soup
- Press the OFF button on the Instant pot and add as much parmesan cheese as you want
- Add as many shrimps as you want to your bowl and serve!
How to cook the shrimps/prawns
- In a bowl, mix 1 teaspoon of granulated garlic, a few drops lemon juice along with a little zest, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of soy sauce and a pinch of paprika.
- Put in the prawns and leave them to marinate for at least 15 minutes
- Put to heat a large frying pan on medium flame (heat) and add 2-3 tablespoon of butter to melt
- Add 2 smashed garlic cloves and let them turn color to golden
- Add the shrimps and let cook for 1 minute of each side, or until they become nicely pink or until the shape of the shrimps from head to tail should resemble the letter “C”
- Pour in a few drops of white wine and let it evaporate. Turn off stove