Last Updated on November 25, 2019 by Cookie
If you are not sure what to make for dinner, classic tomato soup will save your time and imagination. One of my favorite homemade tomato soup made of fresh and colorful garden tomatoes, garlic, onion, and herbs is simply a delicacy, and so simple. This tomato soup recipe is easy to be cooked and truly delicious to be served.
For an ordinary family dinner, one inspiration can be the simple, yet so colorful and savory tomato soup. I adore tomatoes, be them in my salads, baked, or soups I adore the sour/sweet aroma they give to the food.
I have read a lot about tomatoes as they are very healthy and nutritious. Many people eat tomatoes as they are full of antioxidant lycopene, which is linked to many major health problems. Tomatoes are beneficial for health as they reduce the blood pressure, stomach aches, eye care, and of course, they are very important for us as they are vegetables and we have to eat them on our daily basis.
You will definitely love this classic tomato soup recipe. It is a great and refreshing dish for summer time, as you have available so many fresh ripe tomatoes in the farmers’ markets.
Despite the fact that this tomato soup is so creamy, yet light – it does not contain cream. This soup I make only of vegetables without diary. I adore serving this great and so freshly invigorating tomato soup with home-made croutons. “For my home-made croutons go and check my recipe!” There isn’t a more comforting evening dish than a steaming hot bowl of a great tasting tomato soup. Even my daughter adores this kind of creamy tomato soup as I allow her to season and flavor it with anything she likes. She loves to add a lot of grated parmesan over it.
This simple, easy, but so flavorful and tasty tomato soup is perfect for using up a glut of farmers’ grown tomatoes, a lot of garlic, and nicely aromatic croutons. My best tomato soup recipe is very delicious and full of flavors, hearty, creamy and vegetarian. Also, an ideal recipe for vegans, and for those who eat-gluten free dishes.
How to serve tomato soup?
This yummy tomato soup full of aromatic flavors is very creamy, thick at the same time, and ready in just 20 minutes. What I adore about this great soup is that it can be either served hot, or cold. Usually, I use fresh tomatoes, but you can use canned ones, as well for this soup. It depends on the season you make it if it is summer the best option goes for fresh farmers’ tomatoes, if it is winter you can opt for canned plum tomatoes.
This soup is best served with croutons, but you can eat it with a freshly baked baguette, or other kinds of bread. Et voilà!
How to make homemade tomato soup?
I make this savory and aromatic tomato soup for years and have to admit that I always experience with the ingredients.
First of all, I wash well all my tomatoes – as I use only fresh colorful farmers’ tomatoes. I cover the roasting pan with parchment paper and put all the tomatoes and three whole heads of garlic on the pan. Bake the tomatoes for about 20 minutes in the oven, or until smooth and soft.
In a skillet saute, at a medium heat, 1 chopped bell pepper and ½ of chili pepper with 1 large onion. Usually, it takes no more than 5 minutes to saute the vegetables. Stir occasionally.
In a bowl add the baked tomatoes with aromatic garlic, and sauteed vegetables and blend until puree and thicken. If you want a thicker and more consistent texture you can add cream, but I never use diary for my tomato soup. When the soup is almost mixed, I add some drops of olive oil to make it more luscious and appetizing.
Season it with sea salt and black pepper. Since tomatoes are sour/sweet, I like to season my soup with much salt. Also, I season with some dried basil for a nice aroma.
Additionally, I make my homemade croutons with herbs and spices, to avoid eating bread. I know that bread is very important to our health, but I try to avoid or to replace the bread with freshly baked croutons. This classic and so comfort tomato soup is an ideal dish for any day of the week. I simply adore how all these ingredients bring the flavor and taste to this amazing soup.
Tips for the Best Tomato Soup:
- For this decadent tomato soup, you can use canned whole peeled tomatoes or canned diced tomatoes.
- You can add cream to thicken this tomato soup and sweeter the taste.
- You can add fresh basil, I adore fresh basil, but when I don’t have it in my kitchen I use the dried ones. But, definitely, the freshly used basil has a more pronounced aroma and a better taste.
- Croutons can be replaced with a freshly baked baguette or any kinds of bread you like.
- Chilli pepper is a must for this soup, you can only skip the bell pepper, but not the hot chilly one. I consider that the fiery edge taste it offers to this sweet tomato soup is incomparable.
- Tomato paste is also optional for this soup. I don’t like the taste it gives to this fresh and fine dish.
Make it a rule to always have a hot, easy, and yummy soup for evenings.
- Roasting pan
- parchment paper
- hand blender
- 35 oz tomatoes
- 3 whole garlic
- 3 drops olive oil
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/2 chili pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 sea salt
- 1 black pepper
- Preheat the oven at 400°F (200 °C).
- Wash the tomatoes. Cover the roasting pan with parchment paper to avoid stickiness. Add 35 oz (or about 12 -15 medium) colorful tomatoes with 3 bulbs of garlic and pour some drops of olive oil over them.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until smooth and soft.
- In a skillet saute 1 chopped bell pepper and ½ of chili pepper with 1 large onion. Saute the vegetables for about 5 minutes and stir occasionally.
- In a large bowl add the baked tomatoes with garlic, sauteed vegetables and blend all the ingredients until the texture becomes thick and creamy.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Garnish with some drained basil herb or fresh basil.