Crepes, also known as French pancakes, are very thin and soft waffles. Crepes recipe is based on eggs, milk, flour, cooked on round frying pans with little butter. Their neutral taste makes them perfect when rolled with sweet or savory fillings. From jam to fresh fruits, from soft cheese to vegetables and meat!
Whether it’s a loving mother who prepares a snack for her children or a group of students who take a break between history and algebra, crepes are always the right choice! It is a light snack, perfectly fitting at any time of the day. In the morning you can have a sweet cream-filled crepe with some fruit gem on it. It is a great brunch or a perfectly balanced dinner if you splash some cream cheese on the thin crepe and add some smoked salmon on top.
The finesse of these ingredients will simply leave you speechless.
I promise to share with you later the crepe recipe, with all steps well described. However today, I’ll be focusing on the combination of the fine crepes with other ingredients that altogether make irresistible dishes. I’d like to introduce to you my favorite sweet crepe filling – home-made cream and mix berry jam.
Ingredients for the homemade cream
The no-bake filling is a divine cream that you will fall in love with from the first bite. The crepe filling recipe will guide you to a smooth and sweet cream combined with savory home-made berry gem. For the cream you will need the following ingredients:
- Cream cheese. My first choice is Philadelphia cream cheese for its smoothness and neutral taste, which can be used for both salted and sweet recipes.
- Heavy cream. For this desert always look for the fattest heavy cream you can get. The high-fat percentage will transform into a better cream upon whipping.
- Sugar. Any kind of sugar will fit for the recipe.
- Vanilla extract. The better the quality of any extract, the more perfumed and aromatic taste it gives to the filling.
How to make the Cream filling Crepes?
The creme is very easy to make but you’ll need an electrical hand blender for that, otherwise, you will have an aking wrist. So let’s start creating the most delicious cream ever.
Take a big deep bowl and whip the heavy cream until it becomes stiff. That is a process that requires about 5 minutes of continuous whipping. Once you reached the needed result, set aside for a bit later.
You will need a second deep bowl to mix well into one consistency the cream cheese with the sugar and the vanilla extract. Now gently mix by hand the whipped cream with the cream cheese and put it in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. In the meantime, let’s move on to making the berry gem.
Ingredients for the homemade berry gem
- Berries. Be it strawberries, raspberries or blueberries, they are all perfect for this gem. Also, if you can’t find fresh berries, go ahead and use frozen berries, they will do a wonderful job as well.
- Sugar, any kind you have.
How to make the berry gem?
For the gem, you need a saucepan. Heat up the pan and put in the berries, with the sugar and the cornstarch. Simmer everything for about 5 minutes at medium-low heat, or until the texture is sticky, not watery.
How to roll up the berry cream crepes?
Take one crepe at a time. Place about 2 tablespoons of the cream on one half of the crepe and pour over the cream about the same quantity of berry gem. Then gently start to roll the filling from the full side of the crepe. Repeat the procedure till you run our of crepes or cream. Place crepes on a large plain dish and garnish with some extra berry gem. If you have a few mint leaves around, top the crepes for a more attractive aspect with it. You can put the rolled crepes in the fridge for about 30 minutes for a more solid consistency. Whatever decision you take, eat it immediately or give it another half an hour, the crepes are perfect along with a cappuccino or americano.
How to store the berry cream crepes?
Any rolled up crepes, be it with sweet or salted filling, can be stored in the fridge for up to 48 hours. Make sure to cover the crepes with plastic wrap as to avoid drying the out.
Sweet berry cream crepes are heavenly delicious indeed. The desert is a must-try for all gourmands. Also, it is a must-do recipe for anyone who adores doing magic in the kitchen and trying out new dishes. This recipe was a lucky find, a valuable discovery that I am super happy with and proud of.
Heavenly Delicious Berry & Cream Crepes
- hand blender
- 1 pack cream cheese 8 oz
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup mixed berries frozen or fresh
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Whip the heavy cream in a large bowl until it becomes stiff
- Take a second deep bowl and blend together the cream cheese, the sugar and the vanilla extract
- Gently mix by hand the whipped cream with the cream cheese and put it in the fridge for at least 15 minutes
- Take a saucepan and put in the berries, with the sugar and the cornstarch
- Simmer everything for about 5-7 minutes at medium-low heat
- Place about 2 tablespoons of the cream on one half of the crepe and pour over the cream about the same quantity of the berry gem
- Start to roll the filling from the full side of the crepe
- Repeat the procedure till you run our of crepes or cream. Place crepes on a large plain dish and garnish with some extra berry gem