Mexican salad is very versatile and packed with healthy fibers and nutrients. Easy to make, healthy to enjoy, and delicious to serve at any party table.
What is a Mexican salad?
Mexican is definitely my territory and my comfort zone. Nothing screams more a Mexican gathering of veggies and proteins to simply enjoy any time of the day. This salad with a simple and refreshing dressing makes a great and tasty side dish and appetizer. Fresh summer/autumn veggies, proteins, dietary fibers – makes this simple but at the same time so hearty and satisfying salad truly awesome and healthy.
Such delicious salads are easy to assemble and great side dishes for BBQs or potlucks. You will never go wrong with any of the ingredients as a healthy and vitamin-full salad is always welcomed on a table.
Must try Mexican salad!
If you have never tried a Mexican salad, I strongly recommend to try my version as you will need only minutes to gather all the veggies and pour the dressing. Easy, healthy, and simple.
Because summer is still with us, some tangy and fresh bell peppers, sweet and juicy cherries, pungent but not too much red onion, beans and corn will make your salad really tasty and earthy.
I like to call such salads earthy as all the ingredients are cheap, easy to use, and earthy. This is a gluten-free salad packed with healthy veggies and coated in a simple but refreshing dressing. This salad looks colorful and bright on a big plate, this is why making it for my guests is always a pleasure and an invitation.
Mexican salad pairs great with rabbit stew, pork tenderloin, with baked fish, or other kinds of meat.
Is mexican Salad healthy?
Mexican salad is a healthy dish packed with vitamins, healthy fibers, proteins, and gluten-free. Fresh and ripe veggies are loaded with health benefits and are must for everyday meals. I simply can’t imagine a copious dinner with a fresh and light salad that pairs so well together. Salads are always the best idea when it comes to hearty and satisfying dinners.
Even though beans, corn or avocado can seem too much in a salad, on the contrary it balances such Mexican tastes perfectly. I add some hot chili pepper to this salad to add an authentic Mexican taste.
The ingredients for the Mexican salad:
An ideal and perfect summer salad is always made of fresh and tangy vegetables. A gathering of juicy veggies will make an easy but tasty salad to enjoy anytime of the day.
- 1 cup of red beans (I have used canned ones as they are more easier to use but you can choose any option of beans)
- 1 cup of corn (i have used canned corn, but the authentic version is grilled corn for more aroma and flavors) it is at your discretion. I have used canned because I wanted a quick Mexican salad
- 1 half of chopped red bell pepper and 1 half of a green bell pepper thinly chopped
- one ripe avocado diced
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- Cherry tomatoes cut halves
- Chopped fresh cilantro
For the dressing:
- ⅓ cup of olive oil
- Lime juice
- Some orange juice freshly squeezed
How to make a Mexican salad?
Properly wash all veggies and clean with a kitchen towel.
Take a large cutting board and start cutting or chopping all the veggies. Set aside and take the canned corn and beans and pour 1 cup of both of them.
Take a big bowl and start with adding 1 cup of beans, 1 cup of corn, and all the veggies.
In a small bowl pour ⅓ cup of good quality extra virgin oil, some freshly squeezed lime juice with orange juice. Not so ordinary, but trust me it is so delicious and flavorful.
Pour the dressing, add some seasoning and mix gently all the ingredients.
Simple, but so flavorful, colorful, and healthy.
How to store Mexican salad?
If you want to make Mexican salad ahead, just cut all the veggies and let it sit out for no more than 1-2 hours. Don’t pour the dressing as it will be too soggy. Pour it before you serve it.
Some recipe tips:
- If you want it more hearty add some grilled chicken meat.
- Skip the onion if you don’t like the taste, or replace it with some shallots as they are less pungent.
- Parsley or cilantro is optional.
- Add hot chilli pepper if you want it authentic and traditional.
Easy and Healthy Mexican Salad
- Large cutting board
- 1 cup red beans
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1 avocado
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp orange juice
- Wash all veggies and clean with a kitchen towel.
- Take a large cutting board and start cutting or chopping all the veggies. Set aside and take the canned corn and beans and pour 1 cup of both of them.
- Take a big bowl and start with adding 1 cup of beans, 1 cup of corn, and all the veggies. In a small bowl pour ⅓ cup of good quality extra virgin oil, some freshly squeezed lime juice with orange juice.
- Pour the dressing, add some seasoning and mix gently all the ingredients.
- Serve immediately.