Cod & Bacon Wraps is a contrasting dish; it is about a crispy and tasty “cover” that envelops the tenderness of the fish. The recipe is a mix of very tasty flavors, between the savory and the aromatic, between the crunchy and the delicate.
All the tenderness of the cod, the Atlantic fish, is enclosed in a crunchy wrap of bacon, flavored with tomatoes and olives. The recipe is a nutshell of irresistible flavors. The tenderness of the fish, crunchiness of the bacon, and the acidity of the vegetables is a well-rounded meal, perfect for those who seek a healthy diet. If you like eating fish, cod, in particular, don’t miss another delicious recipe of baked cod in creamy sauce.
Ingredients for Cod and Bacon Wraps
The recipe was a real discovery because it is tasty, healthy, and because it is made with a very limited list of ingredients. Moreover, the ingredients are easily found in any grocery store, no matter the season. Here is what it takes to cook the delicious cod and bacon wraps baked with olives and cherry tomatoes:
- Cod fillets. This bluefish is a delicate and lean meat. The cooking time of this fish is fast and the sweet taste needs sonly a little spices and oil to become a delicious meal.
- Bacon. Is there any recipe out there where bacon is inappropriate? 🙂 Considering the fact that cod is lean meat and can get dried very fast, bacon is the perfect companion. Wrapped in bacon, the cod will never dry out and will only become more juicy and tender. You can also use pancetta for the recipe.
- Olives. Fish and olives, the perfect duo. What else can I say?
- Cherry tomatoes add a bit of acidity and character to the tray
- Olive oil
How to make the cod and bacon wraps?
Easy and fast, that is how you make it. First, season the fish fillets with salt and pepper. Then, lay one bacon slice, top it with half a fillet of cod, and wrap. It is all it takes. Repeat the procedure until you’ve wrapped them all. You don’t need any toothpicks to seal the wraps because they will be holding their shape on their own. Make sure to wrap them tight, not too loose, otherwise, they can lose their shape. However, if it doesn’t work out for you, use toothpicks. Remember to take them out when serving.
How to cook cod and bacon wraps?
Before you do anything, preheat the oven to 350 F. While the oven reaches the right temperature, you’ll be assembling the tray/casserole.
You can use any of the two, a tray or a casserole, whatever you have suitable. Put one cod and bacon wrap at a time as soon as they’re ready. Add them in beautiful rows, make sure to leave some space in between to later add the olives and cherry tomatoes.
As soon as you’ve completed the wrapping and the tray/casserole is full, it is time to decorate it with olives and cherry tomatoes. Spread them wherever there is space. Stick in some crushed garlic cloves for a more appetizing aroma. At this point, drizzle some love oil all over the wraps and veggies and season with salt and pepper. The cod and bacon casserole is ready to be sent to the preheated oven.
How long to bake the cod and bacon wraps?
Bake the cod and bacon wrap for 20-30 minutes at 350 F. If you like the wraps juicier, keep them in the oven for about 20 minutes. However, if you prefer the wraps crispy and golden, don’t open the oven door sooner than after a 30 min period.
The bacon fat will melt and will coat the cod fillets, while the olives and the cherry tomatoes will add a bit of acidity. It is a perfectly balanced taste, perfect for any mood.
How to serve the cod and bacon wraps?
Serve the wraps as soon as you take them out of the oven. You can pair this dish with some bulgur wheat to make it a rounded meal, yet healthy and delicious. Also, why don’t combine it with a refreshing salad such as the spinach avocado salad or the chickpea and radish salad? No matter how you wish to serve it, hope you enjoy it!
Cod & Bacon Wraps with Olives & Tomatoes
- 4 fillets cod
- 8 slices bacon
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup green olives
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 handful parsley for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Season the cod fillets with salt and pepper
- Cut the cod into 2 equal parts, crosswise
- Wrap one half of the fillet with one slice of bacon
- Repeat until all fillets are wrapped
- Put all wraps in a tray/casserole
- Stick in the cherry tomatoes, the crushed garlic cloves, and the green olives
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle some olive oil
- Insert into the preheated oven and bake for 20-30 minutes
- Serve while hot