Turkey chili leftover is a recipe that will save your time and delight your belly during holidays. The balanced taste, simple preparation, and nutritional value make this turkey chili leftover recipe a real trouvaille!
The Thanksgiving and Christmas period is special due to so many things. It is the most wonderful time of the year and most countries in the world live this period with great intensity. During the holiday season, we tend to be more thoughtful about others, about family and loved ones. Also, it is the part of the year when we cook more often, moreover, we cook special dishes to delight everyone at the table.
For example, I adore Thanksgiving and Christmas because I always cook the so longed classic lasagna, the appealing chicken drumsticks, and the “absolute must”: turkey. Besides these main courses, there are plenty of salads and desserts such as baked french toasts and cinnamon apple cake.
No matter what you chose to cook for the holidays’ dinner, there will always be some delicious leftovers that can be cooked again as new appetizing dishes. For this exact reason, I came up with this turkey chili leftover recipe. It is fast to prepare yet it delivers maximum taste and belly satisfaction.
Ingredients for turkey chili leftovers
Besides being a recipe that will save the day, it is also easy to make. The ingredients involved are already in your kitchen and moreover, it is a very budget-friendly recipe. Open up your fridge and the pantry to grab the following ingredients for the super delicious turkey chili leftovers:
- turkey leftovers. You can replace turkey with chicken and even pork. Moreover, you can combine different types of meat if you wish. Use whatever you have in your fridge.
- canned beans. I used the pinto beans because I like how soft their skin is. If you don’t have these exact beans, never mind, use whatever you have in the pantry.
- bell pepper. Chose whatever color you like most
- canned tomatoes. I like the peeled tomatoes because I don’t like tomatoes skin stuck somewhere between my teeth.
- garlic cloves
- cilantro because it is so damn refreshing. If you are not a cilantro fan, replace it with parsley.
- spices such as granulated garlic, oregano, chili flakes, and salt, of course.
- vegetable broth or water will do
For serving the turkey chili leftover :
- ripe avocado
- sour cream
- chili pepper
How to cook the turkey chili leftover
The first thing to do is prepare the leftover meat you intend to use for this turkey chili recipe. Shred the meat using 2 forks or use a knife to slice it thinly.
Peel and chop the onion and the garlic. Put a soup pot on the stove and turn the heat to medium. Pour in a few tablespoons of olive oil and wait for it to heat. Then add the chopped onion and garlic and saute until translucent, for about 2 minutes. Remember to stir to avoid burning. At this point add the shredded turkey leftover to the pot and stir again. Season with the spices such as salt, pepper, chili flakes, oregano, and granulated garlic. Cook for another 10 minutes so that the meat soaks in all the flavors. In the meantime remove the seeds of the bell pepper and cube it. Then add the pepper cubes to the meat and mix again. To add color and a bit acidic taste to the turkey chili leftover, pour in the canned crushed tomatoes.
At this point pour in water or vegetable broth and bring everything to a boil. Wait for the turkey chili to simmer for 5 minutes then add the canned beans. To add the final touch of taste and color to the turkey chili leftover, chop some fresh cilantro and sprinkle it on top. The leftover dish is ready and can be served immediately.
How to serve turkey chili leftover?
The turkey chili is already a colorful and round-tasting dish. It is perfectly packed with flavor, plenty of protein, and fiber. However, when you serve it with sour cream, avocado cubes, and slices of chili pepper on top, it becomes a dish beyond taste and aspect.
During holidays, there definitely must be some wine leftovers as well. Pour yourself a glass of red wine and serve it next to the turkey chili leftover dish. Happy & delicious holidays!
Simple Turkey Chili Leftover
- 3 cups turkey leftovers
- 1 can beans
- 1 medium bell pepper
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- Shred the meat using 2 forks
- Peel and chop the onion and the garlic
- Brown the onion and garlic for 2 minutes
- Add the shredded turkey leftover to the pot and stir
- Season with the spices and cook for another 10 minutes
- In the meantime remove the seeds of the bell pepper and cube it
- Add the pepper cubes to the pot
- Pour the canned crushed tomatoes
- Pour the water or vegetable broth
- Simmer for 5 minutes then add the canned beans
- Chop cilantro and add to the chili leftover
- Serve with sour cream, sliced chili pepper and avocado dices