Margarita is one of the most sought-after dinner cocktails served internationally. The intoxicating taste of the margarita cocktail can make anyone daydream, it encloses the warm and exotic essence of summer in each sip.
The key ingredient of the Margarita is tequila. As you probably already know, it is a traditional Mexican brandy obtained from the distillation of the juice of the agave fruit. Tequila has an unmistakable flavor that has gained many fans since its invention. By the way, the legend says it was first served around the year 1930 somewhere around Tijuana, Mexico. Others say it originates from San Diego, California. However, no matter the place it all started, we are grateful for this amazing drink to whoever discovered it.
Inspired from the movies, Tequila is served traditionally as a shot, followed by a pinch of salt and a slice of lime. Regardless of what we’re being told by Hollywood, connoisseurs affirm that quality tequila should be savored sip by sip like you would do with an expensive scotch or whiskey. There is no need to cover the alcohol flavor with lime nor salt.
Nonetheless, it looks like the Margarita cocktail was inspired by that exact combination: tequila, lime juice, and salt. The artful mix has become a famous cocktail I personally die for. I simply can’t resist sipping for the glass with a seductive crust of salt and a sour refreshing taste that takes my mind to sunny places.
How to cover the rim of the glass with salt?
To prepare the Margarita cocktail, start by preparing the grass, in other words, start by forming the salt cruts around the glass. You do that by running a slice of lime around the rim of the glass. Next, pour some fine salt in a low and quite large bowl so that the rim of the glass fits in. Dip the rim of the Margarita cup upside down so that a crust of salt is created on the edge of the cup.
Ingredients and doses for a margarita cocktail
The ingredients and the doses you see in the list below are indicated for one glass of the cocktail, just multiply it by the number of persons you wish to prepare the drink for.
- 1.5 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce triple sec (Cointreau)
- 1 ounce lime juice (fresh)
- Salt for rimming the glass
- lime wedge to garnish the cocktail
How to make a margarita cocktail?
Now let’s get to real business, let’s make the cocktail.
Fill the shaker with ice and pour the tequila, the triple sec, and the lime juice. Put the cap on the shaker and shake well for about 30 seconds. The liquids will get chilled by the ice and will mix to become irresistibly satisfying.
Now add one ice cube in the glass we previously encrusted with salt and pour the fresh cocktail over. You can decorate the glass with a slice of lime or with a slice of lime zest for a more appealing aspect. Serve as soon as it is ready.
What is the right glass for Margarita Cocktail?
Ideally, the cocktail is served in a margarita glass, however, it is not mandatory. Also, you can have the refreshing cocktail served straight up, on the rocks or frozen. It is a versatile cocktail and can be adapted to your own taste and amenities. For best results, make sure you have good quality alcohol and fresh lime juice.
How to serve margarita?
When it comes to cocktails, Margarita is the quintessence of elegance. It is the perfect drink served to accompany delicious dishes such as:
- Keep the glass in the freezer until it freezes, you will see and feel the benefits in the taste and aspect when sipping from a frozen glass.
- Combine your Margarita with blueberry, strawberry, or peach juice to try more tasty and colorful variations of the cocktail.
- Combine lime and lemon juice for a milder taste.
- Salt only half the rim of the glass to enjoy the drink without salt if desired.
- To soften the lime before juicing it, press it with your palm and roll it on a hard surface.
Lime Flavored Margarita Cocktail
- 1 1/2 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce triple sec Cointreau
- 1 ounce lime juice fresh
- 1 tbsp salt optional
- 1 cup ice optional
- Run a slice of lime around the rim of the glass and dip the rim in salt to form a crust on the edges of the glass
- Fill the shaker with ice and pour the tequila, the triple sec, and the lime juice then shake well for about 30 seconds
- Add one or 2 ice cubes in the glass previously encrusted in salt and pour the fresh cocktail over
- Decorate the glass with a slice of lime or with a slice of lime zest. Serve immediately