Last Updated on February 26, 2020 by Cookie
Tender, juicy, and soft on the inside with a mouthwatering crust, this Keto Meatloaf is just lingering and super delicious.
Meatloaf is a classic meat dish of Bavarian and German cuisine. Even during 19 thy century it didn’t appear in American’s cookbooks, they assign it to their cuisine. However, now meatloaf is widely popular in other countries, as well. And the reason is clear – the meatloaf is hearty, tasty and can be cooked from all unclaimed products that you have in your fridge. Simply said meatloaf is a dish prepared from ground meat that has been mixed with other ingredients, then shaped and baked in a specific loaf pan. It is an ideal dish for comfort food.
What is the best meat for Meatloaf?
Meatloaf can be prepared from almost any ground meat, but the best combination is beef with pork. Pork meat will make your dish quite tender and juicy. However, not only these two types of meat are suitable, but also dietary poultry meats like chicken, turkey or duck. Do not be afraid to use lean meat, the rest of the ingredients will make your meatloaf juicy and moist.
How long to cook Meatloaf?
Meatloaf is usually cooked uncovered in 9”x5” loaf pan, at 375°F for 40-45 minutes. If you are cooking with sauce topping, bake 15-20 minutes more. If you are using an instant-read thermometer then the internal temperature should be 160°F. When using a bigger loaf pan, increase cooking time.
Can you freeze Meatloaf?
Meatloaf may be frozen either cooked (previously cooled) or raw (prepared per instructions and arranged in a loaf pan). Cover very well with plastic wrap and place in an airtight freezer bag. Store meatloaf in the freezer for up to six months. Before baking or reheating make sure to defrost it thoroughly in the fridge. Then, uncover it and let it stay at room temperature while you are preheating the oven. In the end, continue with baking instructions.
Should I cover the Meatloaf when baking?
Do not cover meatloaf if you want to get a golden-brown crust. But if you are using loaf pan bigger than 9”x5”, or it didn’t rich 160°F internal temperature, cover it with a piece of foil.
How to make the Keto Meatloaf?
This meatloaf recipe that I will cook today, the fine thing is that at the same time pretty simple ingredients combined together provide an incredibly rich flavor and intense texture. This meatloaf will be quite fragrant and irresistible. To adapt this meatloaf recipe to keto diet I have added just a ⅓ cup of breadcrumb and combined beef meat with fatty pork meat. This way I have reduced the carbohydrates and increased the fat.
Start with vegetables. Finely chop one small onion and crush 2 cloves of garlic with a knife. Make sure you chop the onion finely, so it will integrate nicely with the ground meat and then cook through. If you do not like the taste of raw onion and garlic, you can stew it a little. Separate parsley leaves from stems and finely chop it too.
Prepare the meat. If you have bought the whole piece of meat, then grind it in a food processor (or mincing machine). If you are certain in the quality of ground meat from your butcher shop, then make it easier and use it.
So, take 1 lb of ground beef 85% lean and 1 lb of ground pork and mix it well with your hand in a large bowl. Add the chopped onion, garlic and parsley. Mix again. Now break 2 eggs and incorporate them into the meat. Season mixture with 1tsp of salt (or to taste), ¼ tsp ground black pepper, 1 tsp ground paprika (I had smoked one and it goes perfect), 1 tbsp of herbs seasoning for meat ( I used Italian seasoning) and for more flavor ½ tsp of ground garlic. Add 2 tbsp of ketchup and mix all ingredients well. In the end, add ⅓ cup of breadcrumbs and ⅓ cup of milk, knead again when you will see all ingredients incorporates well.
Transfer the meat mixture in a 9”x5” loaf pan ( I do not have a loaf pan and used a regular cake pan), then gently press it into the pan to make the shape.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°F. Bake meatloaf for about 40-45 minutes. You will know that the meatloaf is cooked when it will decrease in size and a golden crust will be formed on top.
Remove from the oven and leave it to rest for 10-15 minutes. Serve it sliced with your favorite side dish.
Now you have the perfect classic dinner!
What to serve with Meatloaf?
Meatloaf is a great main course that can be served alongside a big variety of side dishes. Great low carb versions are:
- Parmesan roasted cauliflower
- Roasted crunchy broccoli salad
- Freash and healthy tomato salad
- Caramelized baby carrot
Of course, the perfect side dish to serve up near your meatloaf is a potato dish, as:
- If you are preparing meatloaf with sauce topping, in the middle of the baking process, take it out from the oven and generously grease it with meatloaf glaze or BBQ sauce. After this return it to the oven.
- If you what it crispy, sprinkle meatloaf with some breadcrumbs.
- To keep meatloaf juicy, I recommend you to take it out of the oven several times during baking and pour over it some meat juice from the pan. You can keep this juice when backed too, and pour it over sliced meatloaf before serving.
- You can prepare Meatloaf with various fillings, like mushrooms, vegetables, cheese, eggs, etc.
- The fat level is easy to control if you buy the whole piece of meat, not grounded one.
- Try not to overmix the meat with other ingredients as it can make the dish dense.
- If you are not using a silicone loaf pan, then line it with parchment paper. This will help you to remove meatloaf from the pan easier.
- If you do not have a loaf pan you can easily substitute it with the cake pan.
- If you what to make a gluten-free meatloaf avoid breadcrumbs.
Homemade Keto Meatloaf
- loaf pan
- 1 lb ground beef 85% lean
- 1 lb ground pork fatty
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup milk
- ⅓ cup bread crumbs
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp Italian herbs
- ½ tsp ground garlic
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 4 tbsp fresh parsley finely choped
- Finely chop the one small onion and crush the 2 cloves of garlic with a knife. Separate parsley leaves from stems and finely chop it too.
- Take 1 lb of ground beef 85% lean and 1 lb of ground pork and mix it well with your hand in a large bowl. Add chopped onion, garlic and parsley. Mix again. Now break 2 eggs and incorporate them into the meat. Season mixture with 1tsp of salt (or to taste), ¼ tsp ground black pepper, 1 tsp ground paprika (I had smoked one and it goes perfect), 1 tbsp of herbs seasoning for meat ( I used Italian seasoning) and for more flavor ½ tsp of ground garlic. Add 2 tbsp of ketchup and mix all ingredients well. In the end, add ⅓ cup of breadcrumbs and ⅓ cup of milk, knead again when you will see all ingredients incorporates well.
- Transfer the meat mixture in a loaf pan and bake 45 minutes at 375° F.
- When the crust is golden brown take it from the oven and let it rest about 10-15 minutes.
- Served it sliced with your favorite side dish.