If you are interested in a delicious and healthy recipe for dinner tonight then Red Beans and Rice is more than a comfort food at home! So hearty, so juicy, loaded with flavors this recipe involves no innovation and too much time.
Red beans are always welcomed in our house as it is a budget-friendly dish. Beans are good nutrients and I try to use beans in as many recipes as possible. Usually, I make it vegetarian, but sometimes I add meat or bacon for a more consistent texture. Beans have a tender and juicy taste served with rice I consider it one of the best combinations. We use to eat red beans at lunch or dinner as it if full of intoxicating aromas from veggies and spices. It is an easy and quick dish ready in just 20 minutes. This budget-dish is great to make even on different parties served on tacos or fresh baguette and this finest touch will only complete and make your table look colorful and appetizing.
Red beans with rice is a classical recipe super easy and super flavorful. If you make this kind of dish with the meat you can simmer it an hour to achieve a good taste of a depth of flavor, however, if you skip the meat saute it just 20 minutes. Herbs added to red beans will only make them taste better as beans themselves do not have a pronounced taste. I try to add much cayenne pepper, oregano, and thyme to flavor the beans and to make them soak in one of the juiciest veggies. I use creamy flesh from canned beans to make one of the quickest but delightful dishes. One more great point about this great recipe is that it can be cooked in advance. Definitely, no fresh dish will beat a yesterday-made meal, but if you are out of time this hint may help you.
Simple but a heart-healthy meal on your plate will be enough to keep you full and satisfying all day long.
How to make red beans and rice?
This is not an innovative kind of dish, very rustic but truly yummy and copious. I have a deposit in my kitchen where I store different kinds of canned ingredients. Red canned beans are one of the most stored as they really help me when I am out of ideas.
So, fresh veggies, red beans, and whole-grain rice are simple ingredients but an easy escape for me on an evening basis.
Chop 1 onion and add it to the heated skillet with 3 or 4 cloves of garlic. When the onion is soft, take off the garlic and add 2 chopped celery and 2 medium red bell peppers. Let these vegetables saute until soft and juicy. Usually, it takes 5 minutes until the veggies are ready to catch the tomatoes. I added 2 big tomatoes and simmered 3-4 minutes more. When the aroma in the kitchen is truly mouthwatering and intoxicating :), I add 2 canned red beans and left them to simmer about 20 more minutes until all the flavors have unified. Meanwhile, I boil the rice in boiling water for about 10 minutes, or as mentioned on the pack. I add some butter and a pinch of parmesan to the rice, but it is optional. I like the creamy and sticky texture of the rice perfectly mixed with some butter and parmesan. As I mentioned in many of my posts – I am a parmesan fan. 🙂
When both of these dishes are ready, I season with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme for the best taste. Serve this amazing dish garnished with some greenies.
What to serve with red beans and rice?
Definitely, I will serve this tasty and delicious dish with an aromatic glass of white wine next to a garlic greased bread on the side. Sometimes an easy and simple dish can turn into magic with the perfect glass of wine. I like how this dish completes each other and when you try it you simply stay wordless.
This dish can be easily stored for 2-3 days. I mean here the sauteed beans because the rice will lose its taste so it is recommended to make the rice right at the time you want to serve it. It can be easily stored in a container and pre-heated at medium heat in a skillet, or microwaved. So easy and so simple!
Red Beans and Rice Tips:
- Choose any canned beans you like.
- You can use raw beans (but this is a long process as they need to be boiled for 2 hours).
- This recipe is welcomed with meat or bacon.
- I added some grated parmesan to rice, but you can skip it.
- Veggies – you can easily replace with others you adore.
This is an appetizing comfort recipe that is juicy, delicious, easy and of course healthy. Anytime I have the chance to skip meat, I try to get proteins from other ingredients that are healthier and easier to eat. Red beans and rice is one of our family’s favorite dishes.
Healthy Red Beans and Rice
- Large cutting board
- 2 canned red beans
- 4 oz whole-grain rice
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 celery
- 2 red bell pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- Chop all veggies: the onion, the celery, bell peppers, and tomatoes.
- In the heated skillet pour some olive oil and saute the onion and 3-4 cloves of garlic.
- When the onion is soft, take off the garlic and add the chopped celery and red bell peppers.
- Saute these veggies 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, mix well and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Pour 2 canned of red beans into the simmering veggies and saute 20 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan pour water and let it boil. If I make 125gr of rice then I add a double quantity of water.
- In the boiling water add the rice and boil as mentioned on the pack.
- Add some butter and parmesan to the rice. Optional!
- Season veggies with salt, cayenne pepper, thyme, oregano for the best taste.
- On a plate arrange the rice and the veggies garnished with some greenies.
- Serve immediately.