Last Updated on May 5, 2020 by Cookie
This best creamy egg salad recipe is super delicious and hearty, just perfect for picnics. Few ingredients and you will obtain one of your favourite salads, or you can add it in sandwiches, or simply enjoy from the bowl.
Nothing screams more picnic than this best egg salad. Hard-boiled eggs, creamy mayo and mustard dressing, fresh crunchy veggies and positive feelings. This is the way I create magic in my kitchen. Simply, quickly, and savoury.
A salad is never too much despite its variations and ideas. Fresh salads or creamy ones I adore all of them. However, when it comes to a hearty and super creamy salad recipe my eyes wide open. I adore that soft and smooth creamy texture in a salad. Served topped on a fresh slice of bread – this is mouthwatering and divine.
Creamy egg salad made with one of the best dressings is one of our family-friendly salads. It is inexpensive but high in protein to enjoy it straight from the bowl or topped on bruschetta, or added in sandwiches.
This versatile salad can be made with mayo or yoghurt, with some adds-in like celery, red onions, bell pepper, and even pickles. Anyone can create its own super tasty version or to experience with the ingredients. For example, I adore celery and have added it to my salad, but my daughter doesn’t like it. So, I skipped it for her. Each of these ingredients is more of a suggestion rather a must-have rule. It depends on your likes and taste.
I adore eggs. I try to make them in many of my recipes, this is why I always buy the best quality eggs. Before using them I wash them properly before I cook them. We like recipes where eggs play an important role – as many egg recipes are just finger lingering.
What does egg salad go with?
This best egg salad goes well with many dressings. Either mayonnaise or yoghurt or a mix of mustard with mayo and some herbs, anyone you like is warmly welcomed. Also, salt and pepper shouldn’t be missing.
How do you cut eggs for the salad?
Here you can play with your imagination. Cubes, slices, or halves, these are some options you can easily cut and serve this egg salad. I cut them into small cubes as I like how they pair with other small chopped ingredients. You can also check my deviled egg recipe that also has a nice cut and presentation.
How to make egg salad?
This grab-and-go egg salad is made of just a few and simple ingredients but has an incredibly creamy and great taste. I will present the ingredients I have used in this great egg salad recipe.
- Eggs. 5 hard-boiled eggs. Trust me this recipe calls for more eggs, which may seem many but it isn’t at all. This salad is very popular on my table and is gone in seconds. So, if you plan to make it for more people, easily add 10 or more eggs.
- 2 fresh cucumbers. Peel off the skin to avoid the bitter taste.
- 2-3 stalks of celery.
- 2-3 spring onions fresh and chopped.
- Some dill and parsley.
- Mayonnaise here is a must. For a healthy alternative, you can easily use Greek yoghurt, but if you still choose mayo you can still opt for a low-fat one. Use 1 cup of mayo.
- 2 tbsp of mustard for some piquant taste.
- Seasoning and paprika powder.
Let’s assemble and see what is the result.
While the eggs are boiling. I will write below how long to boil the eggs. Start cutting all the ingredients and set aside. When the eggs have boiled, cool them down in cold water with some ice. Peel the skin and chop the eggs medium size and combine with the rest of the veggies into a big bowl.
For the dressing:
Eggs taste really good when this dressing is poured over them. This is a simple but flavorful dressing to enjoy in other salads, as well.
Take a small bowl and add the mayo, mustard, seasoning, and some paprika powder. Mix well until all the ingredients have infused and incorporated. The dressing should have a nice creamy texture. You can adjust the taste at your preference.
Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well. Serve it as a salad, topped on some bread, or into a sandwich. This is a basic and delish egg salad I have been making for years.
How long do you boil eggs?
There are some tips and variations on how to harden the eggs. For example, I put them in a saucepan and cover with water by 1 inch and boil. When the water starts boiling, I turn the heat from high to medium and boil the eggs for 5-8 minutes more.
You can easily boil eggs in an Instant Pot. It is an easy process to have some not sticky shells and perfectly boiled eggs. Cook them for 5 minutes in water slightly covering them.
It is up to you to choose your best and easier option.
- Try to buy qualitative eggs that have less cholesterol, more omega 3 fatty acids, nice and fresh look.
- Adds-in. Here you can play with your imagination. Beacon, pickles, bell peppers, red onion, mayo or yoghurt, are some additional ingredients you can easily play with.
- You can add some paprika flakes or one chopped chilli pepper if you want your egg salad to be more spicy and piquant.
Our most favourite egg salad is ready in minutes and made of cheap and simple ingredients. The taste says it all. Try it!
Best Creamy Egg Salad Recipe
- 5 eggs
- 2 cucumbers
- 3 stalk celery
- 3 spring onions
For the dressing:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- Boil the eggs and cool down in a cold/icy water. Peel the skin and cut cubes the eggs.
- Add finely chopped celery, cucumbers, spring onions, dill, and parsley.
- In a separate bowl combine the ingredients for the dressing. Gently mix the mayo, mustard, seasoning, and paprika. Pour the dressing over the egg and the veggies and mix well until all the ingredients are infused and coated with the dressing.
- Serve immediately.