Today I would like to share with you a colorful salad made of red and white cabbage, only good to enjoy during the last cold days of the year.
The closer we get to the end of winter, the more my body is asking for vitamins. I crave raw fruits and vegetables, in other words – colors and freshness in the plate. I do not think this winter was worse than other winters till now, but it seemed longer like it never ends. To feel closer to the warmer season of the year and make it easier to pass through the cold, I eat a lot of salads. Sometimes I garnish a vivid salad next to a meat dish or a sandwich. However, sometimes I eat it alone, with nothing next to it.
So, today I decided to remind you one incredibly simple recipe – crispy cabbage salad. I’m sure that everyone prepared such a vitamin-full salad from fresh cabbage at least once in their life. The cabbage is satiable to me and that’s why I don’t need anything near it. I like to have a bowl of cabbage salad and call it lunch/ dinner. But if there are meat-lovers in your family who can’t conceive eating just a salad for dinner, then you can serve it next to any grilled meat or fish. I think the kids should love this playful salad too – sometimes I call it a rainbow salad.
Cabbage salad is always so simple to prepare and it is practically impossible to mess it up. Moreover, this is an all-season favorite salad for so many healthy and delicious reasons!
It was a pleasure to take pictures for this recipe. So many beautiful shapes and colors you rarely find together on the same plate! I don’t even know what I liked better today, eating salad, or taking pictures of it?
I also have a similar, colorful and consistent recipe on the blog, take a look and see what inspires you the most: fragrant eggplant or broccoli salad?
What ingredients do you need for cabbage salad?
This vibrant and fresh cabbage salad is loaded with the best autumn vegetables. Even if separately they may seem pretty simple, together they combine in a marvelous way. So, if you are planning grocery shopping, do not hesitate to write down the ingredients for the cabbage salad on your shopping list:
- red cabbage
- white/green cabbage
- celery root
- red onion
- olive/ sunflower oil
- apple cider vinegar
How healthy is cabbage for you?
The whole salad is a powerhouse of vitamins. But red cabbage plays the main role here. It contains 8 times more vitamin C than regular white cabbage. Despite the fact that both red and white cabbage are low-calorie products, they contain an impressive nutrient profile. As an excellent source of vitamin K, cabbage helps to maintain healthy bones. It is also extremely rich in sulforaphane, substances whose miraculous effects are well known in the prevention and treatment of cancer. Cabbage is a powerful immune booster. Moreover, it is especially recommended to add cabbage to the menu during autumn and winter, as it has excellent antioxidant properties and also helps to resist the viruses.
Anyway, all vegetables contained in this salad are an excellent source of many vitamins and minerals indispensable for the body. These vegetables are also a storehouse of fiber (which makes them easily digestible).
How to prepare cabbage salad?
There are a lot of recipes for the famous cabbage salad. Chefs combine ingredients to their taste, use their favorite spices and dressing. Cabbage salad contains many essential vitamins and of course, fiber, which is so healthy to eat every day and on any diet. This salad contains some of the cheapest and year-round available vegetables. I love to play with ingredients for this recipe, and today I will share with you one of them. This side-dish salad will perfectly serve about 6 people, but you can easily double everything if you are the host of a bigger party. I combined the red cabbage with the white one, then add the carrot, red onion, and celery root.
I would note that absolutely any fresh cabbage salad is prepared very quickly. As a rule, the main step will be to cut the cabbage and grate or finely chop the other ingredients.
So, start with cabbage. Take half of the red cabbage( medium size) and half of the white cabbage(same size as red one). First, discard outer leaves of them. Then thinly slice it with a knife or on a mandolin cutter( there is a good choice in markets or online stores). Transfer shredded cabbage to a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle it with ¼ tsp of salt mixing gently. Now, grate one big carrot and ¼ of celery root. I love to add celery to salads, it gives an incredible flavor. At the end thinly slice one medium-size red onion. Add the chopped vegetables to the bowl. Season with 4-5 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar. Mix gently again and leave it to rest for about 10-15 minutes. After the time elapsed, season with some finely chopped dill and enjoy!
Simple, good, colorful, cheerful and full of vitamins!
- To make the process of cutting easier use Mandoline cutter. If you don’t have one, you can use a knife. But believe me, it is easiest to get thin strips of cabbage with a mandolin cutter.
- For this salad, I would advise you to use sunflower oil instead of the olive one. You will feel a terrific combination of flavor – it’s an absolute joy!
- Cabbage salad is perfect for making ahead of time. You can prepare all the vegetables and store them already shredded in the fridge for about 5 days. Season the salad before serving.
- If you do not like celery root, avoid it or substitute it with apple slices.
- Cabbage salad compliments meat dishes so well! Or serve it with everything you like!
Addictive cabbage salad!
- mandoline cutter
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups shredded white cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup shredded celery root
- 1 red onion
- 4 tbsp olive oil/ sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh dill
- Take half of the red cabbage( medium size) and half of the white cabbage(same size as red one). First, discard outer leaves of them. Then thinly slice it with a knife or on a mandolin cutter. Transfer shredded cabbage to a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle it with ¼ tsp of salt mixing gently.
- Grate one big carrot and ¼ of celery root. At the end thinly slice one medium-size red onion. Add the chopped vegetables to the bowl. Season with 4-5 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar. Mix gently again and leave it to rest for about 10-15 minutes. After the time elapsed, season with some finely chopped dill and enjoy!