The creamy vegetarian soup of cauliflower is a delicious, light, and nutritious first course. It is a real comfort food par excellence.
Cauliflower is a typical vegetable of the winter season, which lends itself to being prepared in many ways and is ideal for making tasty or velvety soups. Although winter days are long behind, the vegetarian soup is so healthy and tasty that I couldn’t resist and cook it. The creamy cauliflower soup is a rustic dish prepared with simple and genuine ingredients, perfect for warming yourself up during the still cold spring days. It is perfect when served hot with a drizzle of raw extra virgin olive oil and croutons of toasted bread.
I don’t know if you have already tasted the delicious beetroot soup with coconut milk and ginger or the delightful vegan pumpkin soup which I highly recommend for its original and round flavor. Do you want to know what is the beauty of creamy soups? You can roam from the most original flavors to the most classic ones based on the season, just like for this the timeless cauliflower soup!
Is cauliflower healthy to eat?
Absolutely, cauliflower is low in calories and is, therefore, a great choice for those who need to follow a low-calorie diet. In the same time, cauliflower has high levels of minerals such as potassium, as well as it is rich in folic acid, fiber, calcium, iron, phosphorus, and vitamin C. Isn’t it a rich vegetable? Thanks to its beneficial properties, cauliflower is used to prevent many diseases. It contains, in fact, anti-cancer, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory active ingredients, and is rich in antioxidants.
However, a big intake of this vegetable might have some adverse effects, and they’re called bloating and flatulence. The high fiber consistency may turn out into these unpleasant effects, however, most people tolerate well this food when consumed moderately. This recipe of cauliflower soup involves just the perfect quantity of cauliflower to ensure a delicious culinary experience without being trapped with a bloated belly.
Ingredients for cauliflower soup
Today’s cauliflower soup is another great classic, made special by the addition of coconut milk and nutmeg. When you blend the cauliflower, its creaminess will amaze you. It is not necessary to add many ingredients to get a perfect result. Here is the list of ingredient for this amazingly creamy cauliflower soup:
- Cauliflower, 1 head. Make sure it is fresh, if it has dark spots on it, don’t buy it. If you have it already with dark sports here and there, peel off the affected areas. Also, another freshness indicator is crunchiness and firmness. If the vegetable is rather soft upon touching, it talks about its long-time staying on the market shelves.
- Butter. Replace the butter with olive oil if you want to go vegan for this recipe.
- Vegetable stock
- Nutmeg powder
- Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan, optionally
- Coconut milk, optionally. If you want to obtain a creamier consistency and a more delicate flavor, you can add a little coconut milk at the end of cooking, once all the ingredients have been blended.
How to cook the cauliflower soup?
The first tip is the cooking time of this vegetable. The best way to preserve the nutritional values of cauliflower is to cook it for no more than 20 minutes. Overcooking the cauliflower will eliminate many vitamins and makes these vegetables difficult to digest.
The second tip is to add a few drops of lemon juice while it is cooking Why? When cooked, cauliflower gives off a very intense and unpleasant odor due to the sulfur compounds it contains. To prevent the smell from spreading throughout the kitchen, squeeze in some drops of lemon juice.
Let’s get to business. Use a soup pan, we will first sautee the onion and the garlic. Peel them, thinly chop and add them to the melting butter in the pan. I recommend sauteing the vegetables at low heat. You don’t want your soup to be smelling burnt butter. While the onion and the garlic chops become translucent, wash and chop the cauliflower. Cut and discard the stem at the base and chop the head into small florets. You may half or quarter the florets. The smaller the pieces of cauliflower, the faster the cooking.
Add the florets to the pan and sautee it for about 5 minutes. Pour in the vegetable stock, squeeze some lemon juice, add the salt, pepper, and nutmeg powder and let it simmer on medium-low for another 10-12 minutes.
Finally, use a hand blender to smoothen out the texture and pour in half a can of coconut milk for extra creaminess. If you want a more pronounced taste, grate some parmesan and stir it in the soup. It is ready to be served.
How to serve the cauliflower soup?
Serve the cauliflower soup accompanied with croutons, roasted cauliflower florets, and parmesan. Hope you’ll enjoy this easy and delicious recipe just like I did!
Creamy & Healthy Cauliflower Soup
- 1 medium cauliflower florets
- 1 medium onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Peel and thinly chop the onion and garlic cloves
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat and sautee the onion and garlic until translucent
- In the meantime, cut and discard the stem at the base of the cauliflower and chop the head into small florets
- Add the chopped florets to the pan, sautee for about 5 minutes on low heat
- Pour in the vegetable stock, squeeze in the lemon juice, add the salt, pepper, and nutmeg powder, and mix
- Let simmer on medium-low for another 10-12 minutes
- Use a hand blender to smoothen out the texture and pour in half a can of coconut milk for extra creaminess
- Optionally, grate some parmesan and stir it into the soup
- Serve the cauliflower soup accompanied with croutons, roasted cauliflower florets and/or parmesan