Instant pot osso buco is the perfect tender and succulent dinner. The recipe is about Italy’s rustic flavors and unforgettable tastes.
Osso buco is a typical dish of Lombardian cuisine that seems to date back to the Middle Ages. Italy has, again, inspired me to cook and discover its culinary flavors. This osso buco recipe is no exception and has met my expectations.
First, let me introduce you to this kind of meat – osso buco. The name indicates the cut of the meat – the pierced bone. The tender meat around the bone and the tasty marrow in the center of the bone make this part a real delicacy.
Another notable trait of osso buco is the addition of flavorful gremolata. Gremolata is a specific sauce served with the osso buco. It is a combination of minced parsley, garlic, and scented lemon zest that completes and enhances the flavor of the veal.
In this article, I’d like to present my version of the Milanese Osso Buco made easily in an Instant Pot. With the help of my kitchen friend Instant Pot, I will show you how to cook this exquisitely rustic dish in a simple, fast, and prosaic way.
What is osso buco?
The osso buco is a cross-cut from the shank of the beef. We are talking about the upper part of the leg. It can be either beef or veal. If compared, the veal osso buco is more tender and therefore easier to cook. The best osso buco are those cut around the middle of the muscle because that is where the bone is rich in marrow. Marrow is the main responsible for the tenderness of the meat. Usually, the osso buco is quite thick, it is about 1 inch.
Ingredients for Osso Buco
The basic and rustic ingredients will burst into a delicious dish when cooked together. See below the list of the needed ingredients.
- Osso buco – the particular cut of meat with bone marrow. The marrow melts during cooking and makes the dish even more succulent and tender.
- Bay Leaves
- All-purpose flour
- Beef Stock or water
The combination of these ingredients will take you on a journey of Italian flavors, let me show you how.
How to cook the osso buco in the instant pot?
Set the pot to the “saute” option and press “start”. While the pot is preheating, season the meat with salt and pepper then dredge the shanks in flour. Do not use too much flour, just a thin layer to cover the pieces of meat.
Now add 2 tablespoons of butter and wait until it melts then sear the shanks on both sides until golden brown. That will take about 2-3 minutes for each side. In the meantime prepare the veggies. Peel and dice the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. You can use one unpeeled garlic head for extra flavor.
When the shanks are golden, use tongs to remove them from the instant pot and place it on a separate plate. Now add the diced veggies to the pot, in the same grease that the meat was cooked. Season the vegetables with salt, pepper, paprika thyme, and add some bay leaves to it. Watch the video below 👇
Cook it for about 7-10 minutes without a lid. Remember to stir occasionally. Finally, top the veggies with the Osso Buco’s and pour in the beef broth.
Seal with the lid, set the “pressure cooking” program for 25 minutes, and press the “start” button. When the time expires, release the steam and open the lid. By this time an inviting and enveloping scent will be released in your kitchen, a prelude to an intense taste of goodness. The meat is ready to be served.
What is gremolata & how to prepare gremolata?
You might have heard before about osso buco with gremolata. But what is it? The gremolata is a very fine mince of garlic, lemon zest, and parsley. It is an ingredient that cannot be missing when preparing osso buco alla Milanese. You might want to use an electric blender or chopper to help you out with mincing the veggies to perfection in an express manner. The gremolata, which gives the dish color and flavor, should be added just before serving.
How to serve the osso buco?
Instant Pot Osso Buco alla Milanese Recipe
- instant pot
- 3 pcs osso buco
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 medium onions
- 1 knob garlic
- 2 ribs celery
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2-3 tbsp butter
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp thyme
- Set the instant pot to the "saute" option and press "start"
- While the pot is preheating, season the meat with salt and pepper then dredge the shanks in flour
- Add 2-3 tbsp of butter and wait until it melts then sear the shanks for 2-3 minutes for each side
- In the meantime prepare the veggies. Peel and dice the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. You can use one unpeeled garlic head for extra flavor
- Use tongs to remove the shanks from the instant pot and place it on a separate plate
- Add the diced veggies to the pot, in the same grease that the meat was cooked
- Season the vegetables with salt, pepper, paprika thyme, and add some bay leaves to it. Cook it for about 7-10 minutes without a lid and to stir occasionally
- Top the veggies with the Osso Buco's and pour in the beef broth
- Seal the pot with the lid, set the "pressure cooking" program for 25 minutes, and press the "start" button
- When the time expires, release the steam and open the lid
- Serve with gremolata
- Mince garlic, lemon zest, and parsley and mix