Last Updated on March 14, 2020 by Cookie
One simple ingredient can create a remarkable dish. Fried Eggplant coated in herbs pairs perfectly with any meal. This soft and aromatic side dish is an Italian-feeling savored on your plate.
Fried or grilled eggplant is one of the veggies my husband simply adores. It pairs well with any kind of dishes, especially coated in lots of garlic and herbs. One simple ingredient can create magic in your kitchen. This veggy, itself, doesn’t have a pronounced aroma but coated in herbs and garlic its taste transforms into something irresistible and delicious. I was never an eggplant fan, but since my husband usually grills it with different aromas, I tried to like it. Also, I make this side dish frequently on my party tables as it goes perfectly with any kind of roasted meat or fish. Fried eggplant is a tasty and healthy veggie with a smooth and soft texture, as well as satisfying.
I try to make eggplant in different forms. One that I have prepared for today is roasted in the Instant pot to avoid too much smoke in the kitchen as I wanted them crispy and well fried. There are days when I bake it with herbs and top some cheese as this combination is so good together. I try to prepare this simple and cheap ingredient in many ways to obtain the real taste of Italian cuisine.
Is eggplant healthy?
Eggplant, like most vegetables, is a healthy and good veggie high in fiber and low-in-calories. It is an excellent side dish that pairs with everything. It contains vitamins like potassium, manganese, C and K, and some other vitamins important to our healthy lifestyle. Eggplant is composed of 96% of water this is why it is a low-calorie veggie with less cholesterol. Try to eat this veggie regularly.
Eggplant is also a keto-friendly vegetable being low in carbohydrates.
Fried eggplant recipe ingredients:
To prepare this fragrant eggplant recipe you must include in your shopping list just a few ingredients:
- 2 eggplant
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- Italian herbs
- Ground garlic
- Olive oil.
How to make fried eggplant?
Preparing this fried eggplant recipe will not take you much time. The only problem could be the mess on your stove (from oil splashes) and smell in your kitchen. To avoid this I decided to roast it in Instant pot. Actually, it is conveniently – pour the ingredient in the pot, close the lid, press the button and wait 15 minutes! And voila!
So, grab 2 medium-size eggplants and cut them into 1 1/2″ to 2″ pieces. Always choose small to medium size eggplants, avoid big once as they can be over riped (bitter and brown inside). Eggplants should be heavy for their size and their skin should be glossy and smooth. Also to ensure the vegetable is fresh pay attention to its stems that should be a bright green color.
To get a tasty eggplant dish always taste it before cooking for bitter. If you feel it so, then sprinkle a good amount of salt over eggplant and leave it to rest for half an hour. Salt will reduce bitterness and draws out excess moisture. Before cooking with a paper towel soak well eggplant from extra salt and liquid.
I am sorry, we deviate a little from our recipe. Fill ⅓ of the pot with sunflower/canola oil and set your instant pot to the “Fry” program. Let the oil heat. Once it is hot add about ½ of the chopped eggplants. Remember it should mostly be submerged in oil and should be bubbling. Close the lid and leave them to fry for about 15 minutes. After the elapsed time, with a slotted spoon remove fried eggplant from the oil and place them in a colander lined with a paper towel to drain off excess oil. Repeat with remaining eggplant.
What to serve eggplant with?
Transfer carefully warm eggplant to a large bowl. There is no need to salt them as they will be salted enough. Season generous eggplant with ground garlic (or fresh minced garlic) and herbs, my favorite is the Italian mix of herbs. Toss gently as not to mash the cubes. Top with some sun-dried tomatoes. Use canned once as they are softer. Fried eggplant can be served right away or refrigerated. This colorful side dish goes perfectly near any kind of meat or fish. Choose any from the list and you will not regret:
- Baked salmon
- Tender and juicy pork steak
- Crispy roasted whole chicken in the oven
- Keto Meatloaf
- Baked parmesan turkey cutlets.
Do you need to peel eggplant?
It is optional. I usually do not peel it, but there are cases when it needs to be peeled. The skin of the eggplant is thin and healthy, but if the eggplant is not so fresh I try to peel the skin off. This is my advice to you to try choosing young eggplants to end up with a delicious, soft, and tender veggie. Try to make a healthy habit of eating healthy veggies more frequently. Easily substitute French fries or fried potatoes with salads or baked veggies.
- Try to use young and nice purple color eggplants to have a juicy and soft veggie.
- Use herbs and dried tomatoes mixed with eggplant. These ingredients will create a mouthwatering appetizer.
- For additional flavor top some minced garlic with chopped greenies.
- Try to cut them uniformly to fry and cook them evenly.
- Drizzle some Balsamic glaze or some drops of olive oil.
- If you do not eat fried dishes, you can bake eggplants in the oven on a baking tray. Line it with parchment paper and drizzle generously with oil. Bake eggplant at 400 °F for about 15 – 20 minutes.
This easy Italian-cuisine is simple to make and delicious to savor. It is one of the best appetizers/side dishes to decorate your party table. Simple, enjoy it!
Fried Eggplant Infused in Herbs
- instant pot
- 2 eggplants
- 1 tbsp Italian herbs
- 9 oz sunflower oil or canola oil
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- Take 2 medium-size eggplants and cut them into 1 1/2″ to 2″ pieces.
- Fill ⅓ of the pot with sunflower/canola oil and set your instant pot to the “Fry” program. Let the oil heat. Once it is hot add about ½ of the chopped eggplants. Close the lid and leave them to fry for about 15 minutes. After the elapsed time, with a slotted spoon remove fried eggplant from the oil and place them in a colander lined with a paper towel to drain off excess oil. Repeat with remaining eggplant.
- Transfer carefully warm eggplant to a large bowl. Season generous eggplant with ground garlic( or fresh minced garlic) and Italian mix of herbs. Toss gently as not to mash the cubes. Top with some sun-dried tomatoes.
- Simple, enjoy it!