Last Updated on August 16, 2020 by Cookie
Chili Bean Soup – is a very delicious recipe that you must try! It impresses with the simplicity of the products and the complex taste that we can enjoy with every bite. Many will agree with me when saying Mexican food is one of the most delicious in the world.
Actually, Chili Bean Soup is a very popular dish in both Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisine, spicy, full of taste, and with ingredients accessible to anyone. Honestly, I don’t think there is a bean recipe I don’t like. Since I was a child, I was always the first person to seat at the table to enjoy the first spoon of delice bean dishes that my mother cooked. She used to make us a lot of bean dishes: Instant pot Ham and Beans Soup and Refried Beans.
Rich in protein, filling, aromatic and spicy, it is perfect both in the cold seasons and for a summer lunch or dinner.
It is not necessary to use a rich broth for this soup. Due to a rainbow of spices and a blend of vegetables, even with adds of water only, you will get a satisfying dish. Lately, I have discovered the simplicity of cooking with canned beans. I think nothing could make me go back to the whole long boiling process.
For about two days, I kept thinking and craving a chili bean soup – hearty, spicy, sour, and most important without meat. Some canned stuff ( beans, corn, tomato), which are never missing from my pantry, fresh vegetables (onion, carrot, and bell peppers), and a good punch of spices – and you will end up with the best dinner ever!
Chili bean soup is definitely perfect comfort food. Make a batch of it and have it on hand for some busy evenings. Comfort food is always welcomed in my kitchen as it saves me precious time and effort.
Is Bean Soup healthy for you?
Bean soup is definitely healthy because is loaded with a lot of healthy ingredients! Beans, the main ingredients here, are very healthy, as they provide a good source of fiber and protein. It is also cheap and at the same time very hearty ingredient.
Vegetables, like carrots, bell peppers, and tomatoes are high in antioxidants, beta carotene, potassium, vitamins, and fiber.
Bean soup is a perfect dish for people who follow vegetarian and vegan diets.
What types of beans do I use for Chilli Bean Soup?
Traditionally, for chili bean soup recipe is used pinto and red kidney beans. Anyway, there is no certain rule and is totally optional what kind of bean to use. So, go free to use any bean you love or have in your kitchen. Both canned and dried beans never missed from my pantry.
Also, it is up to your choice, either you will use dried or canned beans. Lately, I start using canned beans, as they are easier and quicker to use.
If you prefer to make the chili bean soup from scratch with dried beans, then see here tips “How do you cook dry beans”.
How do I make Chili Beans Soup?
Full of flavor and with the perfect texture this bean soup is one of the best comfort food that is ready less than in 30 minutes.
Making it in the Instant Pot is a great alternative, as it reduces the cooking time considerably and the dish turns out richer in flavor and super delicious. Saying truly I usually make a huge pot of chili bean soup as I like the leftovers even more. You can easily use it the next day as an adds to the burritos, tacos, quesadillas, taquitos, or hamburgers.
The recipe is simple and needs just a little effort. So as not to interrupt yourself from the cooking process make sure you have all ingredients by hand. Chop one red onion and mince about 4 cloves of garlic. Then dice in small pieces one carrot and one bell peppers.
Turn on your Instant Pot to Saute mood and add the olive oil. Add chopped onion, minced garlic, and cook until softened. Then gradually start adding remaining vegetables, one at a time. First, add carrot, in 2 minutes add bell peppers and at the end canned tomatoes. I prefer canned ones as they have more juice. Let everything saute for 5 minutes, and then add 2 kinds of beans and corn. One can of each. Now add in the spices, chili flakes, paprika, black pepper, cumin, oregano, and salt. To balance the acidity of the tomatoes add ½ tsp of sugar. Pour in one cup of water and close the lid. Turn the steam release vent to sealing, then set manual to cook for 12 minutes at High Pressure.
When the elapsed cooking time, release the pressure either manually or allow it to release naturally.
How to serve Chili Beans Soup?
Garnish soup with a spoon of sour cream, some slices of avocado and a wedge of flavorful lime. Sprinkle on top some chopped coriander or parsley.
Chili bean soup paired perfectly with rice, tortillas, or nachos.
- If you prefer the chili bean soup thicker before closing the lid take about ¼ of soup and blend it in a food processor. Then return it to the pot and close the lid.
- Add or skip any vegetable to your taste. A good add-in could be celery and sweet potato.
- If you are not opting for a vegetarian dish, instead of water use broth or stock.
- This recipe can be easily made with meat. Any of chicken, beef, lamb, pork will pair weel with Chilli bean soup.
Chili Bean Soup
- instant pot
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 can red kidney
- 1 can corn
- 1 red onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 carrot
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 can cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes or more if desired
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sugar skip if desire
- olive oil
- sour cream
- parsley or coriander
- Turn on your Instant Pot to Saute mood and add the olive oil. Add chopped onion, minced garlic, and cook until softened. Then gradually start adding remaining vegetables, one at a time. First, add carrot, in 2 minutes add bell peppers and at the end canned tomatoes. Let everything saute for 5 minutes, and then add 2 kinds of beans and corn. Now add in the spices, chili flakes, paprika, black pepper, cumin, oregano, and salt. To balance the acidity of the tomatoes add ½ tsp of sugar.
- Pour in one cup of water and close the lid. Turn the steam release vent to sealing, then set manual to cook for 12 minutes at High Pressure
- When the elapsed cooking time, release the pressure either manually or allow it to release naturally.
- Garnish soup with a spoon of sour cream, some slices of avocado and a wedge of flavorful lime. Sprinkle on top some chopped coriander or parsley.