Discover a simple recipe below that will make you feel proud about even on special occasions! Cheesy Broccoli Potato Casserole will become for sure your family’s favorite!
Today I remembered an easy and healthy vegetarian recipe that some time ago I used to cook very often – Cheesy Broccoli Potato Casserole. The cheesy broccoli potato casserole was a discovery to me as it was the first casserole I cooked. For a long time, I was convinced that casserole dishes should be sweet like crumbles or caramelized pumpkin. But once I got on the side of healthier food, with less fried dishes, I discovered versatile casserole recipes.
Yesterday I went shopping and filled my basket with a lot of fresh vegetables and fruits. I feel that I want to eat something simple, without meat, for some days. So, I grabbed some broccoli, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, and a lot of green salads. I hope I did not exaggerate because I hate when products spoil in my fridge.
A casserole dish is one of those recipes that even the children who usually don’t stand eating certain vegetables will serve with pleasure. Under cheese crust, you can “hide” broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, potato, carrots, mushrooms, peas or corn.
If you want a tasty broccoli recipe, then you should try for sure Cheesy Broccoli Potato Casserole. It is cooked very easily and quickly and is hearty and tasty. This dish can be a perfect idea for a light dinner or a pair for any main courses. Actually, an appetizing vegetarian recipe is welcome at any time of the day.
The Cheesy Broccoli Potato Casserole completes the collections of the recipes that I have prepared over time with broccoli and potatoes. I have so many recipes with these vegetables on the blog, that I am thinking to create a special category for them). Check more recipes here:
- Vegetarian Creamy Broccoli Quiche
- Roasted potatoes with veggies
- Potato Gnocchi
- Creamy chicken broccoli salad
- Scalloped potatoes
- Roasted Broccoli
- Mashed potatoes
Is broccoli healthy?
Broccoli is a healthy vegetable that is rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. It is recommended by nutritionists for a healthy diet. Also, due to the fact that it is low in carbohydrates, broccoli is a key ingredient for people who are on a ketogenic diet. Vegans and vegetarians also consider broccoli as a nutrient-dense food and widely used it in their diet.
How do you cook broccoli for Cheesy Broccoli Potato Casserole?
According to many recipes that I have researched before cooking first this casserole, I found that I should boil the broccoli. I like broccoli al dente, so I never boiled it but just sometimes pour it in boiling water for 1 minute. I like how it keeps its intense green color and its crunchy taste. But If you like it softer then steam it for 5-7 minutes using a steamer basket settled in the saucepan. Another method to steam broccoli is to boil it in a little salted water. The boiling time depends on the size of the broccoli florets – from 5 to 8 minutes.
An important thing that I would like to advise you is to buy fresh broccoli, with a strong and firm stalk and well-gathered florets around the stems. To make sure that no insects remain in the broccoli florets, soak it for 5 minutes in cold water with salt or a little vinegar.
Can you make it with frozen broccoli?
Certainly, you can! But saying the truth I made it just once with frozen broccoli and did not like it. This dish tastes better with fresh broccoli. So if you have the possibility – always choose fresh vegetables.
How do you cook potatoes for Cheesy Broccoli Potato Casserole?
If in the case of broccoli I prefer them raw, then in the case of the potatoes it is mandatory to have them pre-cooked. Peel the potatoes and slice into circles. Bring the large saucepan with water to boil and then add a pinch of salt and the potatoes. Do not boil potatoes until done, just until slightly tender. It will take you about 10 minutes.
How to make easy Cheesy Broccoli Potato Casserole?
Grab 4 big potatoes and boil them as it said below. In the meantime cut one small head of broccoli into small florets. When potatoes are slightly tender switch off the heat and add the broccoli florets into the saucepan. Leave them to stay for one more minute and then throw in a colander to drain well.
Meanwhile, with a whisk beat 6 eggs with ½ tsp of granulated garlic (or 2 minced cloves of fresh garlic) and ¼ tsp of salt ( or to taste). Then add 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese. Mix well until all ingredients are incorporated.
Grease with some drops of olive oil the dish in which you will bake the Cheese Broccoli Potato Casserole. Transfer the broccoli and boiled potatoes in the pan. Now top vegetables with cheese and egg mixture.
Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 45-50 minutes until slightly browned.
How to store it?
Before you send the Cheesy Broccoli Potato Casserole to the refrigerator, make sure it is cooled completely. If you are storing leftovers, then better transfer it to airtight containers. But if it is the whole dish, then before sending it to the fridge cover it well with a cling film. It can last for 3-4 days in the fridge.
How to freeze it?
You can easily send Cheesy Broccoli Potato Casserole to the freezer. The instruction is the same as for storage. Make sure it will last in your freezer for not more than 3 months.
- If you have leftovers of boiled potatoes do not throw them away. You can easily use them for Cheesy Broccoli Potato Casserole and these will considerably shorten you the preparation time.
- You can make Cheesy Casserole recipe with almost any kind of vegetables.
- If you are meat-lover go head and add some bacon or sausages.
- To make Cheesy Broccoli Potato Casserole spicier add some chili flakes.
- Opt for fresh vegetables.
I hope you will try this delicious recipe and I expect you to come back for more ideas!
Cheesy Broccoli Potato Casserole
- 1 head broccoli
- 4 potatoes
- 6 eggs
- ½ tsp granulated garlic or 2 minced cloves of fresh garlic
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- Grab 4 potatoes, peel them and slice into circles. Bring the large saucepan with water to boil and then add a pinch of salt and the potatoes. Do not boil potatoes until done, just until slightly tender.
- In the meantime cut one small head of broccoli into small florets. When potatoes are slightly tender switch off the heat and add the broccoli florets into the saucepan. Leave them to stay for one more minute and then throw in a colander to drain well.
- Meanwhile, with a whisk beat 6 eggs with ½ tsp of grounded garlic (or 2 minced cloves of fresh garlic) and ¼ tsp of salt ( or to taste). Then add 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese. Mix well until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Grease with some drops of olive oil the dish in which you will bake the Cheese Broccoli Potato Casserole. Transfer the broccoli and boiled potatoes in the pan. Now top vegetables with cheese and egg mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 45-50 minutes until slightly browned.