Both delicious and healthy, the mushroom sauce makes for a vegan dinner, whether you’re cooking for two or looking to impress a crowd. Made with coconut milk and enhanced with nutmeg flavor, the mushroom sauce is absolutely scrumptious and suitable for those with lactose intolerance.
This creamy mushroom sauce is a perfect second course for the times when you want to be delighted with something consistent, yet, not too heavy. The earthy flavored sauce is ideally accompanied with basmati rice, all kinds of pasta, polenta, and of course, mashed potatoes. However, if you are not in the mood to cook anything else, that’s ok. Just grab a loaf of fresh crispy bread and dip it into the creamy craziness. It is so good on its own that it doesn’t need to be paired.
Also, this vegan recipe is a great option for the days I need to detoxify a bit after too many meaty dishes. Although it is meat-free and lactose-free, the mushroom sauce knows how to nourish and please the taste buds big-time. The few ingredients turn out into a dish that can literally make you happy. I decided to share this recipe with you because it gives me so much satisfaction. Here are some of the reasons I am happy about the mushroom sauce:
- it is healthy
- very easy to prepare
- it is budget-friendly
- lactose and meat-free
- it is DE-LI-CIOUS
Ingredients for the mushroom sauce with coconut milk
I know I deal with a good recipe when it meets these 2 criteria. First, it has to be approved by all, or most of my family members. Can’t stand cooking several dishes to make sure everyone has a full tummy. Blame me for that. Second, besides the ingredients needed to create the perfect flavor, I also like to keep track of how expensive it is to please everyone’s taste buds. According to that, the mushroom sauce recipe is a good recipe. It does not contain ingredients that are very difficult to find, it is prepared at a reasonable cost, and is eaten to the last bite.
See the shopping list of ingredients below, most probably you have some of the products already somewhere in your kitchen:
- Mushrooms. I like the brwn mushroom sbecause they have a more pronounced taste, as well a more “meaty” consistency.
- Coconut Milk. Make sure you use the canned coconut milk, the one that is sugar free, full fat. Sweetened milk will ruin your dish, guaranteed. Make sure you buy the right coconut milk, it is usually canned and the label indicates that is good for cooking.
- White wine. Use dry wine for cooking.
- All-purpose flour to thicken the consistency
- Nutmeg powder. This spice will definitely make a difference of taste in your plate. It perfectly pairs with coconut mil and mushrooms.
- Salt and pepper of course
How to cook the vegan mushroom sauce?
Start the cooking by peeling and cleaning the vegetables. Peel off the onion and the garlic cloves and thinly chop it. Then, clean the mushroom using a paper towel and remove the stem.
Put a large skillet to heat up on the stove. Add 2 tabslespoons of olive oil and add in the chopped onion and garlic. Until the vegetables will get translucent, slice the mushrooms. Then, add them to the skillet and cook them for about 7-10 minutes, ot untill all the liquid evaporates. Do not cover the skillet with a lid, you want the mushrooms to get fried, not boiled.
When there is no liquid left in the skillet, pour in the wine to deglaze the mushrooms annd cook on medium heat for 2 minutes until the alcohol evaporates.
Use a measuring jug or a mug to mix 1 tbsp of flour with half a cup of coconut milk. Whisk the ingredients into a paste and add it to the mushrooms. Pour in the remaining coconut milk to the skillet and mix everything gently. Finally, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg powder. Let everything simmer for a couple of more minutes on low heat.
In the meantime, chop some parsley, the greens will add a note of freshness to the dish. That is all it takes to create a vegan mushroom sauce that is hearty and absolutely delicious.
How to serve the vegan mushroom sauce?
Serve the sauce topped over mashed potatoes or rice. Also, you can use it as pasta sauce. One of the strong points of this vegan recipe is that it can be paired with lots of other dishes. Moreover, it is perfect if served alone with only a piece of fresh bread to dip it in and simply devour it. This sauce is so creamy you can use a warm baguette instead of a spoon. Hope you will enjoy it as much as I did!
Mushroom Sauce with Coconut Milk
- 18 oz mushrooms brown champignons
- 1 1/2 can coconut milk full fat
- 1/2 cup white dry wine
- 1 medium onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Peel off the onion and the garlic, finely chop and saute in 2 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat
- Clean the mushrooms, remove the stems and slice them. Sautee in the skillet over medium-high heat untill all the liquid evaporates
- Deglaze with white dry wine
- Use a mug to mix in the flour and 1/2 cup of coconut milk to create a paste, add it to the skillet with the mushrooms
- Add the remaining coconut milk and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg powder
- Mix and let simmer for about 2-3 minutes on low heat
- Serve on top of mashed potatoes, rice or use as pasta sauce