Last Updated on August 24, 2020 by Cookie
One of the best and easy eggplant recipes topped with cheese and tomatoes to serve on an ordinary evening. Nicely and deliciously turn eggplant slices into a restaurant-like dish. A lot of melting cheese, some fresh slices of tomatoes, and one of the healthiest veggies – the eggplant – will make one of your side dishes or appetizers look and taste unbelievable.
Deliciously baked eggplant topped with Feta cheese and slices of tomatoes is something really easy to make and savorful to enjoy. Crispy baked eggplant has a delish flavour, as this veggie itself, doesn’t taste too pronounced and has a mild flavour. However, when you add cheese, herbs, tomatoes, or anything you would like, these baked eggplant slices will taste toothsome. It is that kind of dish with a bold flavour that will turn out to be fabulous and awesome.
Generally speaking, I was never an eggplant-fan. Any time my mom was grilling it I couldn’t breathe that smell. However, when my husband baked it for the first time for me in lots of herbs, garlic powder and with a lot of Feta cheese – I barely thought I was eating an eggplant veggie. The great and ideal balance of feta cheese with eggplant is really indisputable. They pair so well and so great together that those people who didn’t like this vegetable will find this side dish one of the greatest. I promise this!
This easy eggplant recipe is satisfying, hearty, and colourful. And once you will skip the deep frying, easily bake this recipe for no more than 15-20 minutes.
Try and get yourself convinced of one of the easiest, but truly delicious eggplant recipes.
Is eggplant healthy?
Eggplant is a healthy veggie that is easily used in many recipes. It pairs very well with many other recipes. This veggie is rich in nutrients, high in fibers, low in calories and other health benefits. Eggplant is usually used in diet menus and also frequently used in Keto diet menus.
As it is a low-calorie veggie, eggplant is a delicious addition to any health or diet menus. What I love most about this veggie, is that It preserves its benefits even cooked. So it is very important to eat this healthy vegetable.
Do you need to peel eggplant before you cook it?
To peel off the skin or not of an eggplant, is definitely edible. If you are using some of your old-days eggplants, then you can easily peel the skin off. But, taking into consideration that it is summer and now they are fresh and juicy, I never peel the skin off. The eggplant skin is a little tight and bitter, and if I make parties I try to avoid this unpleasant moment and peel off the skin, especially if I cook bigger parts.
For the recipe I am presenting today, I haven’t peeled the skin as slices of eggplants do just fine and taste delicious unpeeled.
It ends up being a matter of your preferences and how you really like to enjoy eggplant dishes.
If you are interested in other eggplant recipes please feel free to access anyone you like:
- Fried Eggplant Infused in Herbs
- Fragrant Baked Eggplant with Cheese
- Homemade Ratatouille Recipe
- Grilled Vegetables
How to bake eggplant?
Baking eggplant is easy and romantic. Even though it has a mild flavour and infused in spices and herbs these baked eggplants will have an irresistible aroma filling up all the kitchen. This recipe requires not so much effort and time, but the result is really delicious and healthy.
- 2 medium fresh eggplants
- 3 ripe tomatoes nicely sliced
- 1 pack of Feta cheese (200gr or 7oz)
- 100gr or 3.5 oz Gorgonzola Cremoso and sweeter (this is really optional, I have added gorgonzola as I adore cheesy eggplant)
- 4-5 cloves of garlic (nicely minced and added to the cheese)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp Italian herbs
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Smoked paprika
Wash the eggplant properly and slice into ¼ inch rounds. For note: you can leave the slices on a single layer of paper towel or baking sheet to release moisture.
Well, for this recipe I didn’t make this process, but it helps you get crispy and tender eggplant rounds.
Preheat the oven at 400 F. Take two baking sheets and lay some parchment paper. Lay the eggplant rounds tossed in olive oil and topped with herbs, spices and garlic powder. Bake them about 10-15 minutes until slightly golden and soft.
Meanwhile, take a bowl and crumble the Feta cheese with some spices, minced cloves of garlic and bread crumbs optional. Slice rounds the tomatoes.
Take the eggplant off the oven and start layering. Top one slice of tomato, and top the cheese mixture. Optionally add some paprika flakes if you want them a little spicy and chilly.
Bake for 20 minutes more. When the eggplant rounds are ready take them off the oven and sprinkle on some grated parmesan and chopped parsley leaves.
Serve immediately as it is or next to any other dishes.
- If you want more crispy and crunchy eggplant rounds easily bake them covered in eggs mixed with bread crumbs.
- Top any kind of cheese you like. Easily add mozzarella, brie, or goat cheese.
- Optional, you can top some garlic sauce for more garlicky aroma.
- Eggplant is a healthy veggie, try not to over bake it.
This is an easy but tasty dish with a soft and delicate texture and aroma. Baked eggplant with salty Feta cheese makes one of the greatest combinations. Dare to try!
Baked Eggplant with Tomatoes and Cheese
- baking pan
- 2 medium eggplant
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 pack Feta cheese
- 3.5 oz Gorgonzola cheese
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp Italian herbs
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Slice the eggplant into ¼ inch rounds. Preheat the oven at 400 F. Take two baking sheets and lay some parchment paper. Lay the eggplant rounds tossed in olive oil and topped with herbs, spices and garlic powder.
- Bake them about 10-15 minutes until slightly golden and soft.
- Meanwhile, take a bowl and crumble the Feta cheese with some spices, minced cloves of garlic and bread crumbs optional. Slice rounds the tomatoes.
- Take the eggplant off the oven and start layering. Top one slice of tomato, and top the cheese mixture. Bake for 20 minutes more.
- When the eggplant rounds are ready take them off the oven and sprinkle on some grated parmesan and chopped parsley leaves.
- Serve immediately.