Last Updated on February 10, 2020 by Cookie
Interested in a healthy and tasty sweet potato dinner? The answer is simple: sweet potato combined with savory guacamole will make your dinner lingering and satisfying.
I know that many of you don’t like sweet potatoes. Neither me, until I found how to mix it correctly and tasty. Sweet potatoes are very useful and are more beneficial than ordinary white ones. If you know some tricks on how to cook them you will find how healthy and tasty these sweet potatoes turn out to be. I have tried sweet potatoes some years ago mixed with some bacon. I found them really tasty and useful, but not my husband. He adores potatoes, but not the sweet ones. So it was hard for me to try some new ideas, where the sweet potato plays the main role, but to make the sweet taste feel less.
This is a vegetarian dish packed with vitamins, antioxidants, and fibers. Also, it can be one of the healthiest appetizers served for guests. It is so easy to make and loaded with flavor that it quickly became one of my hits at party tables. There are times when I didn’t mash the potato, but only cut sticks and make them as healthy snacks next to guacamole. I use to season sweet potatoes in some hot spices as if to try to take out their sweetness, but at the same time to make them tasty. This is the technique I make for my husband because for me, it is enough to toss them in some olive oil, salt, and pepper and this is it. No more mess and too complicated recipes, just easy baking for a few minutes in the oven.
I use to serve it next to guacamole because I simply adoreeee guacamole. I think it pairs so well next to these amazing sweet potatoes. Some grated parmesan and some lemon juice is everything you need to finish this comfortable and healthy meal.
What are sweet potatoes and their benefits?
Sweet potatoes resembling much a regular potato is much more healthy and packed with more beneficial elements. Both of them are healthy, however, if speaking about sweet ones they have a high level of vitamin A, calcium, selenium, iron and fibers. The difference here lays in the carb and calorie content. Both contain calories, while the sweet one contains healthy calories. Sweet potatoes are high in antioxidants known as beta-carotene, their texture is very soft and creamy. They have a nice orange color resembling much a butternut squash-like sweet taste. They are easily roasted or baked with some irresistible caramelized edges with a pleasant aroma. If I mix sweet potatoes with some sour/salty aromas then the dish is unbelievably tasty and yummy.
How to bake sweet potatoes?
Sweet potatoes are very easy to bake. First of all, you have to wash them from different dirties and set aside on some kitchen paper to absorb the water. Take a baking tray, lay parchment paper and add the potatoes. I toss them in some olive oil, salt and pepper, and some herbs if I want them more aromatic. If I buy big size sweet potatoes then I bake them in the preheated oven at 200 C for about 30-40 minutes. When the potato doesn’t have a uniform shape, I take a fork and stick in it, if they are smooth and soft then the potatoes are ready to be served. It makes no mess and the baked food is much healthier than fried ones. However, no one will ever resist in front of some delish French fries. Still, you can make sweet potatoes French fries, I think. Maybe, I will try one day.
Serve potatoes with some grated parmesan over them and next to guacamole. You will see how tasty, simple, and healthy this dish is.
How to make guacamole?
Guacamole is probably one of the most favorite side dishes everyone likes and enjoys. I haven’t seen people not liking the smooth and delish taste of guacamole. Making it is simpler and easier than eating it. Usually, If I bake 2 big sweet potatoes then I take 2 ripe avocados. Take a bowl and add the avocado mashing it with 2 forks. Mash until it looks like mashed potatoes, but with some bites of avocado still in it. I don’t like it too thin.
I add ½ of small chopped red onion, 5 cherries, a small cut of hot chili pepper and some lemon juice. Mix all the ingredients and serve this great side dish next to my sweet potatoes.
So simple but so healthy that you will crave it anytime you want to have meat-free meals.
- If you don’t like sweet potato taste, easily replace it with ordinary ones, or use other veggies.
- Let the sweet potato bake until it has a dark brown caramelized color.
- Serve sweet potatoes next to anything you like.
- You can cut stripes of potatoes and make them crispier as chips.
- Use parchment paper to easily wash the baking tray. When the potato is baking it leaves some oily mess as you toss it in oil, so laying some baking sheet will help you easily wash the tray.
Sweet potatoes have a natural sweetness that pairs so perfectly with spices and herbs. This versatile veggie coated in flavors will taste great next to guacamole. You will have a healthy dish that can be easily served at lunch or dinner.
Southwest Style Sweet Potato with Guacamole
- baking pan
- parchment paper
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
For the guacamole:
- 2 avocado
- 1/2 red onion
- 5 cherries
- lemon juice
- Wash sweet potatoes and toss them in some olive oil with salt and pepper.
- Take the baking tray, lay some baking sheet and put the potatoes.
- Bake for about 40 minutes in the preheated oven 200C (400 °F).
- While the potatoes are baking, make the guacamole. Take a bowl and mash the ripe avocados with 2 forks. Add the chopped red onion, cherries, and a small slice of red hot chili pepper.
- Mix all the ingredients and season with lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- When the potatoes are soft and smooth take-off the oven and let them rest 5-10 minutes as they are too hot to eat immediately.
- Serve sweet potatoes next to guacamole and squeeze some more drops of lemon juice over the dish.
- Garnish with some grated parmesan and greenies.